Logo

Chrysler 360 stalls under load

wbasil1

I have a 1977 Chrysler 360 that stalls a load idle underway. it will run fine underway at a cruising speed. It seems to only stall after I run at a cruising speed then bring it down to idle speed. it will start right back up again. sometimes it will have a hard time cranking afterwards. almost like the battery needs charging but it is a new battery. The alternating is charging.

Sounds fuel related. When was the last fuel filter change? You may try richening up the idle a bit also.

Thoughts run to weak fuel pump, dirty float needle or seat, or just too lean at idle.
With someone at helm, richen idle needles underway, rack the throttle at carb a couple times to gauge how effective the adjustments are. If it stays running, you are golden.

Wayne, I change the fuel filter every season. I have tried adjusting the idle mixtures but I really do not get any change. I have Holley 4160 carbs. I will try richening the idle mixtures & take a look at the electronic fuel pump. after the motor cuts out I usually do not have any issues starting it back up.

Wayne, I change the fuel filter every season. I have tried adjusting the idle mixtures but I really do not get any change. I have Holley 4160 carbs. I will try richening the idle mixtures & take a look at the electronic fuel pump.

Have you changed just the inline filters, or have you changed the one at the fuel inlet also? Not all 4160's have inlet filters and they are easy to overlook. The are located at the last fitting, actually mounted on the bowl.
No noticable change on adjustment indicates some restriction somewhere..

I have not checked that filter. I am trying to get down to the boat today & check that filter. Thank you for the advice. I will let you know what I find out.

I did go down to the boat today to check one thing. I have been getting oil on the top of the exhaust manifold and I noticed that the valve cover bolts loosened up. Could this cause issues with the carb?

I did go down to the boat today to check one thing. I have been getting oil on the top of the exhaust manifold and I noticed that the valve cover bolts loosened up. Could this cause issues with the carb?
There's a VERY remote possibility this could have an impact, and only likely if it's the valve cover with the PCV valve in it, and only possible if the PCV valve is weak or wedged open by carbon.
At idle you can spray lightly some carb cleaner on hoses and rubber plugs to check for a vacuum leak, WD 40 will work in a pinch. Any change in idle indicates something worthy of looking at.
Is the PCV valve hose going to carb base or underneath on intake? There should be a multi port vacuum 'tree' between the carb and distributor that will have several ports plugged off. Look at the plugs for cracking or missing ends. Don't forget the vacuum advance line to the distributor while you're looking.

Still thinking of inlet filter, there are two types available, one thats a paper filter, and the other looks like bronze sand fused together. The paper ones have a check valve, the bronze ones do not.

Just out of curiosity, when were the float levels last checked?

Check for a sticking carb float. A stuck float could continue to allow fuel to enter the carb causing flooding. When you shut it down after running, check the carb throat to see if you see fuel dripping from the jets into the carb. Maybe time to rebuild the carburetor.

Well I was able to go down to the boat for a little bit today. I checked the inline filter on the carb & it is clean. I did notice that 1 or 2 bolts on the valve cover were loose so that might be my oil issue on the intake manifold. I am going to check to see if I have a sticky float sometime tomorrow. I have electric fuel pumps so the pump should stop once it reaches the correct pressure. I did spray some starter fluid on the seems of the intake manifold to see if I have any leaks. I did this while the motor was running & I did not hear the idle change. I do rebuild the carbs every year.

I ended up rebuilding my electric fuel pumps over the winter. I have been out a few times this year already with no issues.

Hello Wbasil. I have similiar problem with chrysler 360 engine in a Trojan F 32 but with mechanical fuel pumps. This stall only occurs after engine gets hot 130 degrees or 45 minutes running at idle. Did you replace electric fuel pumps or repair?

Back