Logo

Difficulty setting correct point gap

gold01ca

Putting new points in the 60 Evinrude 10 HP.

Trying to get the correct .020 point gap but I can't seem to get the points close enough together no matter
where I position the adjustment screw.
Gap at minimum adjustment position wider than the .020 spec.

Any advice appreciated.

Maybe the adjusting screw needs to be backed out one full turn ??--------------Done those since the late 1960's and never a problem setting them.----------------There is a host of material to be found if you google--------------universal magneto repair

Are you installing new OEM points or aftermarket? Get new points that have the BRP emblem on the box. If those are old points your wasting your time.

Did you turn the adjuster one full revolution?Are the hold down screws just loose enough to move the mount for the points?

Last edited:
Kim, went out and checked again per your advice.
Still not able to get the .020 but looks to me if I take a bit off the rubbing block (sand/file) on the moveable points I can get there.
Maybe just the pain of poor fitting aftermarket parts.
Thank you!

The adjusting screw moves / adjusts the points with the mounting screw TIGHT and secure.----------Note the thin flat washer under the mounting screw.--------That is not a lock washer.

I am really embarrassed to say I was using a metric feeler guage and trying to set .020 MM!!!!
Once I realized my goof, .020 IN gap was easily set using the correct guages.
A bonehead mistake, live & learn.

Back