Logo

TAMD41P-A turbo problem

Vitamin Sea

Hello all. New boat owner and first time posting on this forum. I would greatly appreciate some help with my turbo problem. I have a 30' Black Watch fitted with twin TAMD41P-A engines. I recently replaced the cartridges in both turbos because of oil in the charge air coolers. The air coolers were taken out and cleaned.

During my sea trial my starboard engine did not past 2000 rpm because the turbo did not kick in. I am also getting black smoke and soot. Port engine runs perfectly.

Prior to the turbo repairs, the boat was taken out of the water and the bottom cleaned and repainted and the hull waxed. Prior to the sea trial I changed the oil, all filters (fuel, air, oil) and cleaned the fuel tank.

Is it possible one of the cartridges is bad or i have a oil feed problem? I'm in Jamaica and due to the impending hurricane I'm not able to do any work on the boat at the moment. I need some expert advise so I can go fishing after the hurricane. Thanks in advance for any assiatance.

Rgds
Vitamin Sea

Castle_Cape thanks for your response. The turbo spins very freely by hand. There is also no play at all in the shaft. The turbo cartridge was rebuilt by a company in Fort Lauderdale - the name escapes me at the moment and I don't have the receipt in front of me.

Last edited:
Did you turbo company check the vane tip to housing clearances on the exhaust housings? A common issue with many Volvo turbos is corrosion in the exhaust housings causing low boost due to excessive clearances. A new cartridge wont fix this. There are even a few companies that insert CNC machined inserts into the housings to bring the clearances back to spec. First thing to do is check for air leaks, then put a boost gauge on the engine. If no air leaks and low boost, check the vane to housing clearances on the exhaust side.

Aliboy. Your comments make a lot of sense. There was quite a bit of corrosion on the exhaust side of the housing. I will do as you suggested and see how it goes. Thanks much.

Back