Logo
Click for Detroit Diesel manuals!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1

    Default DD 671 TI,Heavy smoke at idle. Cant figure out?? help pls.

    Need Help!! I have a Trojan 12 meter with 671 TI,s. Since rebuilt my port engine gives white smoke on Idle and oil seeping from two exhaust ports of manufold, it gives black smoke on load max RPM 1800. Starboard engine no issues max RPM on load 2600 and no smoke. Have tried rack adjustment, governor, injector timming etc, nothing works..Need help please

  2. #2

    Default Re: DD 671 TI,Heavy smoke at idle. Cant figure out?? help pls.

    Hi, make sure air shutdown (between blower and intercooler) is open. If it smoked from day one i'm guessing cam shaft or gear train timing is wrong. Let us know what you find.
    Charlie w.

  3. #3

    Default Re: DD 671 TI,Heavy smoke at idle. Cant figure out?? help pls.

    Charlie, Tks for replying... I think may have a bigger problem? oil is seeping from the sump breather and Turbo exhaust also. The problem was from day one. Now it has increased. engines have not done more than 100 hrs. I guess, piston or rings? Air shutdown was the first thing i checked.

  4. #4

    Default Re: DD 671 TI,Heavy smoke at idle. Cant figure out?? help pls.

    Remove inspection covers on side of engine block. You can check rings and piston top and sides. Doesn't sound good!! Don't run it till you find the problem. Could self destruct. Liner kits are easier to replace than engine blocks!
    Charlie w

  5. #5

    Default Re: DD 671 TI,Heavy smoke at idle. Cant figure out?? help pls.

    Only cylinder 4&5 leaking oil. The builder tells me, that i have not run the boat on load, should run it hard for 10 to 15 hours, oil will stop.. sounds strange to me?? He says; carbon will deposit and rings will set in.. I dont think its logical?? Blower and Turbo are fine...

  6. #6

    Default Re: DD 671 TI,Heavy smoke at idle. Cant figure out?? help pls.

    Anything other than Chevron Delo 100 can and will cause piston ring carbon problems.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Posts
    555

    Default Re: DD 671 TI,Heavy smoke at idle. Cant figure out?? help pls.

    I doubt that the engine is 800rpm off the WOT rpms of the other engine because it 'isn't run-in'. I assume that the prop on that side is perfectly clean? Is there a lot of blowby in that engine? Have you put a boost gauge on that engine to check the boost? It sounds like you might have a couple of bad cylinders, but there could be other causes and those are some simple checks that I would do.

  8. #8

    Default Re: DD 671 TI,Heavy smoke at idle. Cant figure out?? help pls.

    The props are good.. I spoke directly to the mechanic about builders suggestion.. He disagreed and requested me not to start the engine.The blowby is lot more than ordinary. He inspected the engine, will open up the head after the weekend and inspect. Issue, most likely, rings or piston.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    temecula, ca., usa
    Posts
    2,678

    Default Re: DD 671 TI,Heavy smoke at idle. Cant figure out?? help pls.

    If the "white smoke" is raw fuel in those two cylinders washing down the cylinder walls then the rings would never seat and compression wouldn’t come up as a result. Agree that engine should not be operated until the cause of white smoke is foumd. This engine should be compression tested before doing anything else.

    Just MY opinion.

  10. #10

    Default Re: DD 671 TI,Heavy smoke at idle. Cant figure out?? help pls.

    Quote Originally Posted by jgmo View Post
    If the "white smoke" is raw fuel in those two cylinders washing down the cylinder walls then the rings would never seat and compression wouldn’t come up as a result. Agree that engine should not be operated until the cause of white smoke is foumd. This engine should be compression tested before doing anything else.

    Just MY opinion.
    White smoke at start, but grey on 1200RPM without load. On load Black smoke. Anyways i am not starting the engine, till all tests are completed and cause identified.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    temecula, ca., usa
    Posts
    2,678

    Default Re: DD 671 TI,Heavy smoke at idle. Cant figure out?? help pls.

    "White smoke" IS raw, unignited fuel. Gray smoke is likely oil and black is partially, (poorly) burned fuel either suggesting low compression or over fueling. Or both.

    Since each cylinder to be compression tested requires the injector to be removed, the injector tip can be examined and the the injector can be either bench tested or, at the least, the spray pattern can be looked at. So, I stand by my suggestion to compression test prior to any other procedures.

  12. #12

    Default Re: DD 671 TI,Heavy smoke at idle. Cant figure out?? help pls.

    Quote Originally Posted by jgmo View Post
    "White smoke" IS raw, unignited fuel. Gray smoke is likely oil and black is partially, (poorly) burned fuel either suggesting low compression or over fueling. Or both.

    Since each cylinder to be compression tested requires the injector to be removed, the injector tip can be examined and the the injector can be either bench tested or, at the least, the spray pattern can be looked at. So, I stand by my suggestion to compression test prior to any other procedures.
    Sure thing!! will get the compression test done first thing...

  13. #13

    Default Re: DD 671 TI,Heavy smoke at idle. Cant figure out?? help pls.

    Head was opened. Cylinder 5 valve guide seal busted. Rings and piston are ok. Replacing seal now.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    temecula, ca., usa
    Posts
    2,678

    Default Re: DD 671 TI,Heavy smoke at idle. Cant figure out?? help pls.

    I don't think a valve guide seal could cause all the symptoms you have described with this engine. I will be very surprised if the low power complaint is remedied by replacing the seal.
    Was the engine compression tested prior to tear down?
    Here's hoping I'm wrong.
    Good luck.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Lower Columbia River
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: DD 671 TI,Heavy smoke at idle. Cant figure out?? help pls.

    I haven't seen blockage in the fuel return line mentioned as a possible cause. Just tossing it out to see what others think.

    Dan

  16. #16

    Default Re: DD 671 TI,Heavy smoke at idle. Cant figure out?? help pls.

    Quote Originally Posted by jgmo View Post
    I don't think a valve guide seal could cause all the symptoms you have described with this engine. I will be very surprised if the low power complaint is remedied by replacing the seal.
    Was the engine compression tested prior to tear down?
    Here's hoping I'm wrong.
    Good luck.
    I was surprised too. However, only cylinder no 5 piston was wet with oil.The liner, rings and pistons are ok. No oil in the blower. No oil in turbo intake, but turbo exhaust wet with oil. Cylinder 5 valve guide seal was busted and unseated. Guide completely free. Will let the mechanic know of your input. Really thankful.
    Regards
    Shams

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    temecula, ca., usa
    Posts
    2,678

    Default Re: DD 671 TI,Heavy smoke at idle. Cant figure out?? help pls.

    Well, I suppose the oil flowing freely into the combustion chamber could have set up a situation that had the #5 piston doing all sorts of vertical velocity antics. It might light the oil as uncontrolled fuel and accelerate and then misfire a stroke or two later due to over fuel. This might get the governor into "playing catch up" and oscillating the weights in a very inefficient manner. Wouldn't happen with electronic control but with the mechanical governor I guess anything is possible.

    We will see when you get it back together. Good luck and let us know what happens.

  18. #18

    Default Re: DD 671 TI,Heavy smoke at idle. Cant figure out?? help pls.

    Quote Originally Posted by jgmo View Post
    Well, I suppose the oil flowing freely into the combustion chamber could have set up a situation that had the #5 piston doing all sorts of vertical velocity antics. It might light the oil as uncontrolled fuel and accelerate and then misfire a stroke or two later due to over fuel. This might get the governor into "playing catch up" and oscillating the weights in a very inefficient manner. Wouldn't happen with electronic control but with the mechanical governor I guess anything is possible.

    We will see when you get it back together. Good luck and let us know what happens.
    Thanks!! have replaced all seals cylinder 6&5 as both had oil. Putting the engine together. Will test run Monday and post and update.

  19. #19

    Default Re: DD 671 TI,Heavy smoke at idle. Cant figure out?? help pls.

    He is right, if you run the engine at light loads, you will get wet stacking.

Similar Threads

  1. Heavy smoke at startup
    By jjgurley in forum Yanmar
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-27-2015, 05:18 PM
  2. 6-71 TI Smoke At idle
    By BDACON in forum Detroit Diesel
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-12-2015, 11:13 AM
  3. 671 TIB - Heavy Black Smoke
    By Capt T in forum Detroit Diesel
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 10-18-2011, 03:57 PM
  4. Volvo penta aq125a heavy fumes and smoke
    By rajalenz in forum Volvo Penta Gas Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-15-2008, 08:30 PM
  5. TAMD72A Black Smoke heavy load at 50%25 RPM
    By castaline_fisheries in forum Volvo Penta Diesel Archive 2004-2009
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-10-2007, 09:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •