Logo

Bravo 1 steering pin and bushing replacement

Cap n Carl

Greetings!
I am in the process of overhauling my 1988 Bravo 1 transom assembly off boat. I am replacing the steel OEM steering pin with a stainless version. I intend to replace both bushings, but I have no idea how to remove the smaller upper bushing? I thought of drilling a 1/2" hole thru the top of the housing and using a flat punch or screwdriver to knock out the bushing. I can drill a pilot hole from the inside out, so centering the hole shouldn't be a problem. I would later plug the hole with a pipe plug providing there is enough stock for threads, or use some sort of rubber plug. I'm not sure if this is a good idea as I have never heard of anyone doing it this way. I have heard of using some sort of hooked tool to pull out the bushing, but I imagine it depends on how easily it will come out. I doubt anyone makes a puller small enough to do the job. I have watched Youtube videos on pin replacement, but no one even mentions replacing the upper bushing? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I would also like to mention that after a test fitting of the new bushings, I feel the pin shaft to bushing clearance is a bit sloppy for my taste! I even used a hose clamp on the lower split bushing to simulate it being installed. I guess it is what it is, but I don't like it. My Bravo still has the fitting to grease the upper bushing. The Steel OEM steering pin has a hole drilled down the center where it joins with a small hole drilled at a 90 to the center. Grease would be forced down from the top thru this passage to lubricate the lower bushing. No more grease zerk, and no hole drilled in the stainless pins. My drive even has an oil dip stick in the top cover! What else is Mercruiser going to eliminate in the future?

Last edited:
Personally, I would install the grease fitting on the transom housing. Have done quite a few with 100% results. Also have a video on it.

DSCN2575_zpse606521b.jpg

DSCN3594_zpsn1ksly9j.jpg

DSCN3600_zps2n9ljrke.jpg

DSCN3596_zpssshslnyc.jpg

DSCN3597_zpsipterp4y.jpg

DSCN3601_zpsbd6k7xav.jpg

DSCN3602_zpslputctrs.jpg

Thanks. I thought of installing a second grease fitting, but that doesn't really help me. I don't know how to get that little upper bushing out safely? There really isn't much information about it on the web. I have reason to believe it is worn so I want to replace it!
Thanks.

Last edited:
You could try using a tap of the required diameter to screw into the bushing and remove the bushing using the tap.
Second method is the same one used to remove a pilot bushing from a crankshaft end. using a close fitting piece of solid round stock or a hardwood dowel fill the bushing with grease and hammer the dowel in. hyd pressure may force the bushing down and out.

I did consider using a tap, but thought it might expand the bushing and keep it from coming out. It's worth a try! Wow, that method of taking a pilot bearing out with grease is pretty wacky, but it works! Ya learn something new every day.
Thanks again!

Bt. I have a tap and die set but a 5/8 is too small, a 3/4 too big! I suppose a metric size might work but I don't have one that size and they don't come cheap! The grease/pressure method won't work because I don't think the bearing wall has enough surface area. I also discovered there is a ledge machined into the bearing cavity. Must be so you don't drive the bearing in too far. I did manage to extract it by collapsing one side with screwdriver. I started out with a long 1/8" blade screwdriver, then used a thin pointed tool to pry it over. I would have preferred to start at the slit, but it was impossible to locate. There was a small amount of collateral damage to the wall, but I can live with it. I don't recommend anyone trying to replace this bearing (Bushing) unless they feel it is absolutely necessary!
Thanks again for your input. Cap.

Back