Logo

Wanted: Gray marine 671 Detroit

jrhill01

I'm in search of a Gray Marine 671, the plate with any identifiable numbers on it is so rusted that I can't see a serial #. The vessel that the engine is currently in is a 1967 Ex-Navy Landing Craft used in WWII, Vietnam. I currently use it in my marine construction operations as a push boat for my barge. This engine either needs rebuilding or replacing. I'm in need of locating a engine or seal kit quickly so I can get back in business of dock building!!! Any help would be of great appreciation!

Attachments

• Ensign Parker.jpg
    Ensign Parker.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 63
Thank you for that link. I checked it out. I had another mechanic look at it yesterday and he said that it doesn't necessarily have to be a "gray marine" engine, that any 671 detroit will work. So that relieves me a little bit. I'm on the hunt trying to find one with low hours at a good price. The longer this boat is down, the harder it's going to be to catch up!

Well, I agree with your mechanic. The Gray Marine engines were nothing more than Detroits that were "marinized" for the U.S. Navy . The same thing Johnson and Towers did for pleasure craft.

There are still plenty of them floating in marinas and quays all over the world. The problem is finding one. There are probably more than a few in derelict boats right in your area.

There used to be a guy here in San Diego that had a yard with literally MOUNTAINS of them piled up. But it's been so long I can't remember his name. I will ask around and see if he's still in business but if you haunt some marinas and ask around you might just find an old boat with a rebuildable engine in your own back yard.

YOu could take out the Detroit and scrap the hull.

Old trucks and especially old buses are another good source for finding a useable Detroit long block. There are surely thousands of them just sitting in fields and behind barns that wouid probably fire right with fresh fuel and a hot 8D. The problem would be that your manifolds and such might not transfer so well between your VERY old Gray (1940's?) And perhaps a newer casting of the Detroit. I don't know for sure. You will have to find new bolt ons if that's the case. Just something to keep in mind before you go down that road.

So, don't give up, keep hunting!

Good luck.

Back