Logo

battery recharging question

White Pointer

hi guys

I have a starboard battery switch, port battery switch & gen battery switch + 2 emergency parallel switches. Also have a twin output battery charger fitted.
I have finally penned the boat and have use of 240v shore power.

So now when I leave the boat for a few days I still want to run the fridge .

My question is , do I leave all battery switches and parallel switches "ON" and the battery charger "ON" while I'm away or do I just leave the battery switches "ON" and parallel switches "OFF" and battery charger "ON"

Last edited:
Parallel off, battery switches off and shore power on. Your refer should switch to shore power on its own unless you have a 12 volt only refer which I doubt.

Battery charger should be hooked straight to the battery or the battery side of the battery switch.

hi guys

I have a starboard battery switch, port battery switch & gen battery switch + 2 emergency parallel switches. Also have a twin output battery charger fitted.
I have finally penned the boat and have use of 240v shore power.

So now when I leave the boat for a few days I still want to run the fridge .

My question is , do I leave all battery switches and parallel switches "ON" and the battery charger "ON" while I'm away or do I just leave the battery switches "ON" and parallel switches "OFF" and battery charger "ON"

The fridge is 12v / 24v

Is this a typo?
Did you mean to say; "The fridge is 12vdc / 240 vac" ...... ?

If your 2 bank battery charger is a "Smart Charger", you can safely leave the boat unattended with the Charger ON.
As Chris alluded to....... most 2-way Marine refrigerators will default to AC current in the absense of DC current.

I would suggest that you turn all of your battery switches to the OFF position while the boat is unattended.

A properly connected/installed battery charger should NOT be dependant on the switch's position.
In fact, your two charger "charge leads" should go directly to the rear of each respective battery switch (to the correct terminal) ..... and NOT directly to the batteries.

It's definitely 12v/24vcc
model :Vitrifrigo C75L NPF

Is this a typo?
Did you mean to say; "The fridge is 12vdc / 240 vac" ...... ?

If your 2 bank battery charger is a "Smart Charger", you can safely leave the boat unattended with the Charger ON.
As Chris alluded to....... most 2-way Marine refrigerators will default to AC current in the absense of DC current.

I would suggest that you turn all of your battery switches to the OFF position while the boat is unattended.

A properly connected/installed battery charger should NOT be dependant on the switch's position.
In fact, your two charger "charge leads" should go directly to the rear of each respective battery switch (to the correct terminal) ..... and NOT directly to the batteries.

Chris said:
700-02402.png

We used to refer to these as a "converter".

in the mean time should I leave a couple of the batteries on with the parallel switches on and battery charger on.

If you DO NOT currently have a 24vdc "Converter" on board, and if you wish to leave the refrigerator operating while you are gone......... then yes!

But again......... make sure that your On Board Battery Charger is of "Smart Charge" technology.
If not, it may damage your batteries if left ON for extended durations.

Chris,
so what sort of problems could be had if the emergency parallel switches are left on?

I am not Chris, but I can suggest that our different battery banks are often of "Un-Like" batteries.......... meaning that battery bank #1 and battery bank #2 may not of the same; AH capacity, brand, age, group #, and even chemistry (wet cell vs Optima).
Then we have dedicated "cranking" batteries and "deep cycle" batteries, of which neither responds to a load or charge in the same way.

If our charger is to sense each bank individually (as to predicate the charge rate), paralleling or combining restricts the charger's ability to do this effectively.
We typically parallel (i.e., combine) these banks during emergency scenarios only.

In my opinion, these banks should not be drawn down nor charged together for any duration.

Last edited:
Back