Logo

no spark

Seems a little rare for an engine to just die when running and then lose all spark but continue to turn over when cranked.

How did you check for spark in all cylinders? Did you properly ground the base of the plugs to several bare metal bolts (not a part of the block or a bolt painted with anti-corrosion paint). Can even run a jumper cable from the (-) battery terminal and clip the plug base in it to be absolutely sure it is grounded and you are not getting spark.

If no spark, #1 is check the engine kill lanyard switch at the helm we are all supposed to clip to ourselves but seldom do. Make sure it wasn't bumped - they can be bumped/lightly pulled that unseats them a bit but they look like they are still in place properly... The engine kill lanyard kills the ignition only on most but the starter will keep turning the engine over when you turn the key. Pull the lanyard off, make sure nothing is cracked or broken put it back on seated properly & see if it starts. (I llearned this the hard way after checking everything else I could think of and someone told me to check the kill switch... Duh!).

Last edited:
I did all of that. I did order a new kill switch it will be here tomorrow. the cheapest fix to start with so I will have to see if it is that simple. thank God for TowBoat US the tow in would of been $736.00

Next could be the Stator Assy but you are over $400 for that. May be worth pulling the rotor assy on top (quick and easy) and taking a look at it for dirt, burning, wasp nests, and lose connection or broken pins in the electrical connections but before I'd throw that much $ at a part chasing a ghost it's, unfortunately, probably time to take it to the service center unless anyone else here has any ideas here or you can find more advice via Google.

put the new kill switch in turned the key and I was up and running. Thanks for all your suggestions we need to remember to look for the simple things first

Great to hear! Unfortunately, the simplest things tend to elude all of us and I am prob #1 on that list. I'll never forget the day my lil boat about died when I was a kid... I limped to a beach and hauled it up, started pulling plugs and checking for spark with some tools some 4WD'rs had on the beach... had spark, engine turning over with random firing and would die again. Spent 2 hours there screwing around. Grabbed a tow back to the ramp and then I looked at that little old 6 gal metal fuel tank and saw that vent screw... It hit me like a brick to the head... I reached back and gave it a twist... WOOSH! You'd have thought the vaccume that had developed in that tank should have crushed it! Plain old vent valve I had closed to fill the tank and take it to the boat and I forgot to open it again. Another lesson in boating learned the HARD WAY.. No shortage of experience here learning the hard way!

Last edited:
Back