Logo

timing issue 1968 50hp ser. 2477254

dripclouds

took the boat out last week and it was barely running. thought that i may have been a timing issue. took the distributor off, cleaned up the points and put the distributor back on. my mistake was to not mark the pulley at the top, so now i am out of time. there is NO ARROW or mark on the pulley ( may be aftermarket ) found TDC (of the #1 cylinder) on the flywheel and aligned it with the center line of the distributor....NOW what i need to know is where the key way on the pulley falls in relation to TDC...if anyone could tell me where that is or even better send a picture of a top view with the flywheel at TDC..thanks in advance...happy to answer any questions!!

Take the top plate off the distributor pulley to find an arrow.

there is no arrow. i even looked with a magnifying glass. pulley may be after market, but there is no arrow...no mark at all. i just need to know the keyway alignment..i can adjust it from that point.

There should be a roll pin on the pulley.You can use that as a guide.Line it,centre of the distributor,centre of flywheel and timing mark,three dots on flywheel,you shouldn't be far away.

Last edited:
get an old spark plug with a MUCH longer thread so it will contact the piston. knock the tip flat flat against the ceramic core so it acts like a stop.

Attach a wire to motor and bend it till the tip is just barely away from the fly wheel teeth.
Insert into cyl 1 plug hole and make it tight till it stops (as usual)
turn motor BY HAND / CLOCKWISE until the piston comes up and GENTLY stops against the LONG plug.
Make a mark on the flywheel where the wire is pointing.

Now - remove the BIG spark plug, turn motor another 90 degrees clockwise till piston goes past tdc (you should see it come up and go down about 2".

Now insert the spark plug back into the hole
Turn the motor COUNTER CLOCKWISE until the piston again stops against the spark plug - mark the 2nd tooth on the flywheel where the wire is pointing.

EXACTLY between these 2 marks is your #1 cylinder tdc. (your marks are basically a 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock mark -
TDC is thus 12 o clock - precisely between them: \ | /

Make sure you:

Dont touch the pointer wire while turning motor
Remove the BIG plug an dhide it FAR from making a mistake! Paint it pink or tape it up :)

U removed the battery before doing this right? Also - a little water to wet the impeller is always a good thing.

so i got the timing mark thing figured out. the gear was upside down. found the arrow on the gear. now i aligned it with the mark on the flywheel ( 2 small indents, only mark on the flywheel, and verified by removing the #1 cyl. and checking) . this put the timing at approx 17 degrees BTDC and the motor was very hard to start, would not stay running unless idle speed was very high, would not go into gear without dying. (now that is supposed to be the factory setting) i have no reason to doubt that...EXCEPT....i set the timing at 34 degrees BTDC (by moving the timing belt 1 tooth over) fired right up like it was brand new...can now not only idle at low rpms but the boat goes in gear without stalling...IF ANYONE KNOWS...if there is any reason for that, let me know...and BTW i picked up a 1972 110 (9.8) as a kicker motor...there is a factory timing sticker on it that says timing is 34 degrees ( yes, i am aware that it is a 2 cyl. and not a 4 cyl.) thanks in advance...any info is appreciated

Back