Logo

D4 260 2016 ? Opinions of this engine pls

abl1111

Regular Contributor
Newbie to diesels. Am looking at a boat that has a brand new Volvo D4 260 ( 2016 ) and a 2016 Volvo DuoProp. I am trying to research the pros and cons of this engine and the engine/ drive combo.

Can anyone shed light on the dependability of the engine; weakness', customer / service support ?

I have read only that the new electronic parts scare the hell out of people and that pasts are ridiculously high.

My goal is to minimize hassles - I'm looking at a diesel for the purpose of less issues and maintenance ( other than oil, filters etc ) than my current mercruiser - not more.

Any input appreciated.

I think it's a good engine. I'm from Alaska and I know a few commercial guys with D4 225 duoprop and they love them.
That drive is about bulletproof these days.
How many hours do you put on a boat every year? Do you need a diesel?
The new Volvo gassers, 5.3 and 6.0 are impressive .

Thanks for the response. I really don't put that much on in a season as it's for pleasure - not commercial. So, probably 60-80 hours a season ( kids keep me busy ) ! The boat I'm looking at has a new 2016 diesel. I can't find much info 'out there' about this engine. Odd. The style boat I'm looking for seems to have diesels. I'm looking for the durability / don't have to do too much aspect of the diesel. I just donut know much about diesels and which brands/ models are go-to and which to avoid...

Back