Logo

Honda BF 130 - Water in Fuel System

cricketman

I have a Honda BF 130 on the back of a 12x50 Catamaran Cruiser (a catamaran-style houseboat). It's a 2000 model, and has given me great service for the last 16 years.

Recently however, it left me stranded (not fun being towed in a 12x50 houseboat - but thank goodness for Sea Tow!).

The verdict was water in the fuel system, so we added a water/fuel separator between the tank & the engine, replaced the fuel hose that runs from the tank to the engine, and replaced one fuel line on the engine that had a broken plastic fitting on it (which may have happened during the checkout/repair process but that's fine - must have had a small crack so glad it's replaced).

After those repairs, the next weekend she cranked right away & ran fine for the 30 mins it took us to get to a beach to set up camp for the weekend.

Then on Sun evening when it was time to head back to the marina, she wouldn't crank. Suspecting water in the fuel again, I first checked the new water/fuel separator we added between the tank & the engine. Removed it, dumped it into a clear jug and it was all fuel - not a drop of water. I then removed the pressure check bolt from the fuel pump and ran the pump some - sure enough there was water there. We pushed out two 16 oz bottles that were about 80% WATER before we started getting pure fuel again.

She then fired up, ran rough for a minute or so, then settled out & ran like a brand new one for the 30 mins back to marina where she sat in a covered slip for the last week.

Then this past weekend, same scenario - cranked fine on Friday afternoon, got to beach fine, then on Sat would not crank. Checked the water/fuel separator again - all clear - no water. Removed that bolt-plug from fuel pump again & ran over a QUART of water out before getting to pure fuel. Then she cranked fine & we got back home.

I cannot figure out WHERE this water is coming from!

It is definitely getting into the system somewhere between that new water/fuel separator filter & the fuel pump.

I see no indication of any gas leaks anywhere.

When we're "at rest" at a beach, with the front of the boat pushed up on the beach, the rear sits a little lower than it does when she's level in the slip which results in the exhaust ports on the engine being under the water an inch or two. Someone this weekend suggested water could be entering through those exhaust ports, but I didn't think that was possible - thoughts? (I am not an engine expert so forgive me if that's a stupid question.)

Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated!!!

After your initial problem,were fuel tanks flushed. Check with other boaters who fuel at the same gas dock as you do if they have issues also. water is heavier than gas and will sit in bottom of fuel tank usually getting sucked up first

Hi,
I'm afraid I don't know enough about your outboard to provide you with a solution but the problem interested me and I found something that may be applicable to the issue.

On the fuel pump parts page for the 2000 130 there are four WATER TUBES listed. Items #23, 24, 25 and 26.

I can't tell why there are water tubes connected at the fuel pump but maybe someone else here can.

I was speculating that there may be some sort fuel cooling going on but just whistling in the dark here. But, it does give you something to consider and possibly share with your mechanic.

Has anyone worked on or around the VST lately? Maybe water line crossed with fuel line?

Anyway, I hope this is of some help.

Good luck!

No, fuel tanks have not been flushed. I get gas at various places (sometimes the marina, but most often Sam's, Kroger, etc (I have a Gas Kart on wheels & usually take 20 gals or so every time I go to lake as it's about $1/gal more expensive at the marina - that adds up pretty quickly!)).

After the first issue several weeks ago, we installed a water/fuel separator between the tank & the engine. When I had the problem the last 2 weekends, first thing I did was check the new separator - dumped it into a bottle and it was all clear - 100% fuel, no water. So the water is not coming from the tank, it's entering the system at some point past the fuel separator.

In the shop manual I have (which is "Paper Book Part no. 66ZW500" dated 1998 (and it has a couple sections of revisions dated Mar '02 and Nov '02), I do not see the exact parts you refer to, but I do see a "water tube" that appears to be connected to the VST on page 424 (or 5-4 of the Nov '02 supplement)... interesting. Yes, the shop did work on - or at least "around" - the VST last time they performed repairs. I will discuss with the shop manager.

Anyone have any other ideas on this possibility?

Ok, I've come up with a better guess...maybe. Below is the link to the fuel pump parts page. Look at items #3 & 4 labeled tube, air vent. Now, look closely at #4 and see how it looks as if it terminates, on one end, at the lawn mower style fuel filter. But the other end goes off the page and we are referenced to consult page F-8-10.

One disadvantage of referencing parts from boats.net is that they do not provide the page numbers. So, you don't know what page you are on and you don't know what page to move to when they send you off like this to another page....something Honda does frequently in their parts manuals.

Anyway, I can't locate page F-8-10 with any certainty. I think it might be the throttle body page but I'm not sure. So YOU will need to go out to your engine and see if you can find where that "vent" line ends up. If it is in an area that holds water, who knows? We may have found the problem. If not, at least you know I'm trying

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...00/BF130AY XCA/FUEL PUMP FUEL PIPE/parts.html

Also, you can see the "water tubes" I mentioned before, 23,24,25 and 26.

I'm guessing something on this page may have your answer.

Back