Logo

Repair trim cylinder pre alpha 1970 mercruiser

Dave slickcraft

Replace or repair trim cylinder pre alpha 1970 Mercruiser , I have frond parts on line, outer tube repair kit. The outer tube corroded through and leaked fluid, I can add more and it works/moves a bit. I am a little nervous about buying the repair kit and doing it my self. On line they talk buying whole assemblies that only last one season.
My question is, what problems lie ahead if I try to fix it my self. Is there a easier way (other than taking it to a marina repair shop).

The hardest part would be to remove the end cap. I would coat the new tube and ends with some fiberglass resin or epoxy to keep the corrosion factor at 0

I tried to loosen the end cap with the cylinder still on the boat. The end cap didn't move, the tube turned in the base. Now I got to hold the thin tube to loosen the end cap?

Ok from what I’m reading your hosed if the end the hoses goes into spins. That’s a high pressure fit from factory.
Hindsight should have used pipe wrench to hold tube before taking cap off....

Ayuh,..... Find, 'n buy a used fresh water set, 'n throw yer's away,.....

I have another pair on another outdrive
There was a lot of oil inside the parts that came out I can’t believe no one figured out a way to get that piece out ? Maybe I’ll make a special tool and sell it 🤔

Back