Logo

1958 Lightwin powerhead compatibility

pdpantages

Hello Forum,

I have an Evinrude 1958 Lightwin 3HP model 3026 that I inherited. I think that the motor had been dunked and was seized. Cylinders, rods and crank damaged etc.

I am pretty sure the block is not salvageable and have been looking for a replacement powerhead. I have found one that is from a 1967 or 68 motor. Would this powerhead be compatible with the 1958?

I looked in marineengine's parts diagrams and can see that the 1958-1968 use the same crankshaft for this motor (part #0203555). So no problems with the flywheel fit or driveshaft splines. But the crankcase part number changes after 1964. The part numbers are 0379436(1958) vs 0381821.

Does anyone know what the change was, and/or if the 68 powerhead would work?

Looking at the pictures of the 68 I can't see any differences to mine. But obviously something must have changed to justify the new part#...

The 68 model was the first to use a seperate tank and fuel pump.---------------Fuel pump can also be fitted on earlier models too.-----------Was the first year for that side starter .-------------Post an ad on --------aomci-------------for near instant help on that popular motor.

Thank you racerone. I did realize that the 68 had a fuel pump when revisiting the parts diagrams. Looking closer at the pictures of the 68 I see a few extra threaded holes that must be for this. The manifold is identical for both motors.

There is another difference, in the powerhead mounting gaskets. I am not sure if this is significant.. I will take a look at aomci as you suggest, thank you.

Back