Logo

Problem with Trim on Mercruiser 3.0

LakeWylie

Hi,
I've come upon a problem with the trim on my 2005 SeaRay 180 with a 3.0 Mercruiser. My trim is stuck in the down position and wont move. I've read a variety of posts and manuals but still can't figure it out. I'm thinking maybe solenoids but my last tests showed something I haven't read about.
So here is the problems:
I get the clicking when the up, down or trailering position is pressed. So I'm thinking solenoids. I've done a variety of tests with a test light and the one that confuses me is that if I go from ground to the blue (up) wire I get no reading, press the button and try again and I get continuity. Now with the green wire (down) I get continuity even if I'm not pressing the down button, I dont think that sounds right. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong. I don't want to replace the solenoids if the trim motor is shot but still dont have any definitive answer as to whether it is the solenoids. Any tests you can recommend?
Anyone who has suggestions or other tests, please post them. I really want to try to fix this myself as I just can't afford mechanical help right now. I'm fairly tool and tech savvy so I'm thinking I can do this. Just changed the started slave solenoid and that job went well.
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Diane

First make sure all connections are good from battery to pump. Large 10ga red wire. Also there is a fuse inline. Make sure that is good also.
If all that is good then.....

If you look at the wires going to the pump from the shift control trim buttons.
There is a group of wires with puprle and red stripe and green with white stripe and blue with white stripe. They feed into a ~ 1 inch diamter black connector.
The connector has three pins and plugs into the pump input wire harness.

Unplug this connector.

Now make a 12 inch jumper with 16 ga wire and if you can attach alligator clips to each end.

Now go to the two solenoids on the pump.

Do the same for each solenoid but only jump solenoid one at a time!!!

Jump from the large top terminal (red wire) to the small terminal (blue with white or green with white) and this will power the solenoid and if the trim pump works in both directions report back.

Hello again Jack.....tried your suggestion and I'm reporting back.....the pump didn't work when I tested the wires...noticed there was some corroson in the round connector and cleaned it up. Still nothing. Is it the motor?

Yes..... Che med 2 fuses the one with the large red wire and there was a smaller one on the top....both were good and checked continuity from each side

Well if you energize both solenoids and the pump motor does not work at all the most likely the motor is bad. Used ones can be found on craigslist, ebay..ect.. or buy a new one.

Back