Logo

1992 40 HP Mercury Force Overheat buzzer in control box will not shut off

Bassmandan

Not sure if this Is the right forum. Let me know. Does Chrysler own Force brand now? I dont see Mercury Force listed. Anyway I have a 1992 40 HP Mercury Force. Engine 0E048891. Overheat buzzer will not shut off. Buzzer not shown in your manual to possibly order one. I have the one located inside of the control shift box. Engine overheated. Luckily the overheat buzzer came on and I turned it off and got a tow to shore. No water from pump. Replaced water pump and impeller drive pin. I now get a steady spurt of water but not a actual stream flow. Anyway overheat buzzer in control box will not go off. Just turning the key on without actually starting engine the buzzer sounds. Stays on when cold or warmed engine is started. I thought maybe to replace the buzzer in the control box, which is a nightmare to take apart and close back together. Cant find the right part number. Manual shows a different control box and a buzzer outside of box. Or is there a solution to this issue without replacing buzzer? Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

It goes something like this .-------Westbend became Chrysler. ---Then it turned into US Marine.---------Then became Force outboards.--------That was bought by Brunswick Corporation also owns Mercury brand name.----------------Force is no longer built / marketed.

Disconnect the temp switch on the motor and see if the buzzer stops. Probably a over heat condition caused the switch to go bad.

I did just that and buzzer stopped. I'am sure your right. Overheat made it go bad. Wire looked hot or burnt coming out of it. Now just have to replace it. Too bad I already took control box apart yesterday for nothing. What a nightmare. Had a extra part left over. About a 1/4 inch round. Copper color. Kinda resembles a fat watch battery, Any idea what it is? I had it apart before and never noticed it. It seems to work fine without it. So far. I did replace the ignition switch while I had it apart. I had a spare. Did not help obviously. Thank You :cool:

It goes something like this .-------Westbend became Chrysler. ---Then it turned into US Marine.---------Then became Force outboards.--------That was bought by Brunswick Corporation also owns Mercury brand name.----------------Force is no longer built / marketed.

Thanks for sorting that out.

That sounds like a detent that holds the handle in neutral.
http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=MER87-819502
Does the switch have the bullet connector like in this pic?

Bullet Connector..Correct.This would be the part then. It probably is a 94. Was not sure. I knew the serial number fell between 92-94. Pontoon registration is 1993. I'am the second owner. Got the aluminum top or roof. I love it. Has a 50's look to it. Just gotta keep her clean and seats covered. Thank you all for the fast response. Your very helpful and awesome.

Back