Logo

Understanding fuse panel for marine accessories

Georgiaboy67

Advanced Contributor
I'm trying to rewire my boat, I need my livewell for my first tournament ever next month. Nothing electrical works except my master power switch and my bilge pump.
https://instagram.com/p/BKhQXgRAs70/
look at this pic, why is one of the red wires connected to 2 separate fuses? Is that so the power switch powers the rest of the accessories?

Personally I have no idea what I'm looking at... and I did look at it.

You need to have a 12v non fused line running to the fuse panel and then from there a fused connection to each individual electrical component.

And do I have to do anything special for the master power switch? Cause I planned on using that, bilge, livewell, and the horn. Everything else is wired and fused separately since the switches went bad.

Yeah I knew there's two wires that run from the battery. That was the old panel..look at it again, you should see a red wire; that has a u shape to it. It's at the top of the panel next to my hand.
https://instagram.com/p/BKjU4dqACAK/
here's closer look of it. Just the one that has a u shape to it.
The U-shape is just a jumper. If you set your multimeter to ohms and back probe the incoming red wire and the U-shape wire I'm sure you'll find 0 ohms. That is because the U connection is just taking the incoming power from the red wire and jumping it over to the next terminal board. If you get resistance, or infinity then you need to check connectivity between those two terminals.

Okay, thanks, I'm getting a new fuse panel, this one is corroded, only a couple wires are working, and most of the switches are bad. This old one though, I've noticed that unlike the newer panels, this one doesn't have a spot for a + and - wire going from the battery to the panel... There's not a single black wire going from the panel, to the battery. What else could keep this thing in operation, it's the original, and just slowly one by one the accessories quit working

Back