Logo

2004 Yamaha 200HP V Max fuel/starting issues

I Call

I have a 2004 Yamaha V Max 200 HP. After I fish in 95-95degree weather for 30-40 minutes, I have to try cranking the engine three or four times before enough gas gets back up into the carburetor. I have tried a new bulb and a new fuel line assembly connecting to the fuel intake at the engine. Same problem. Do you have any suggestions of how to correct this problem? Thanks, Greg Williams

Not sure if your engine is affected but you should always allow the engine to cool down at idle in neutral for 4-5 minutes after a longer run or a high-speed run. Shutting down immediately after a long or high speed run lets all the water drain from the engine and it can superheat inside the cowling causing gas (and especially ethanol in ethanol blended fule if you are running it) to boil/vaporize which creates an ultra-rich mix (some call vapor lock) in the engine. Try letting it idle 4-5 minutes before shutting down and see if the problem goes away. What you think could be a lack of fuel could be too much fuel vapor in the intake and the excessive cranking before firing is effectively sucking that over-rich vapor mix through and blowing it out unit you get enough oxygen coming in for combustion to occure. Too much fuel/too rich fuel-air mix can mimmick not enough fuel and presents the exact same starting problems.

Last edited:
Back