Logo

Help me ID this wire please

Can anyone help me ID where this wire belongs?

Engine is a 1998 7.4L MPI Mercruiser I/O, freshwater cooled.

If you can't tell from the photo, the wire is coming out of the wire harness. I can't find any sort of empty plug or sensor somewhere missing a wire unless it belongs under the intake manifold. I could back trace it but I would have to

I found it laying on the exhaust manifold, it looks to have been there for some time as you can see by how the elements have treated.

The engine is currently having issues cutting out , and then not wanting to restart. Awaiting my mechanic to clear his schedule. By the looks of how long the wire has been there, I don't think its related to how the engine is acting right now.

Screen Shot 2016-09-16 at 6.33.06 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-09-16 at 6.33.37 PM.jpg

If it is grey and hanging out of the bread box its an aux tach lead. Make sure it is not grounded on anything.

BTW is that a VST still on that 7.4 mag?

Last edited:
If it is grey and hanging out of the bread box its an aux tach lead. Make sure it is not grounded on anything.

BTW is that a VST still on that 7.4 mag?

I do believe it's grey in color. Is that for troubleshooting by using a tester of some sort? It was possible it had grounded out on the exhaust where I found it, I checked the fuses in the bread box, they are fine (three of them I believe) Is it known to cause issues if that finds a ground?

As far as I remember this isn't a mag, but yes I believe that is the VST.

Last edited:
Back