Logo

1998 Johnson 150 hp Ficht start problems

MichaelGER

I bougt a Zar 57 boat with a Johnson 150hp Ficht from 1998 /J150FSLECR two weeks ago.
We used the boat about seven days about 40hours without any problems. Then on the eighth day we went out with the boat, stopt the engine by ourself and later it was not possible to start it.

In the last days i ordered the diagnostic cable and software and the repair manual for this engine and looked a long time for the problem but didn't find it.

If the engine is disconnected from the battery for many hours, i can start it without any problems and run perfectly until i switch it off by myself. Then it is not possible to start again. By turning the key, the starter cranks the engine and after two seconds ist starts but stops at the first ignition by itself immediatly. This i can make with normal idle, with high idle, with choke, without choke. Everytime it starts and stops immediately after the first ignition. Then it needs many hours break and by the next try it starts and run without any problems until i switch off by myself.

On the monitor from the Evinrude Diagnostic software everything looks fine. Also the is no fault code.

Did anybody have an idea what i can test next?

Thanks a lot and sorry for my bad english!

Regards from Germany
Michael

I found out, that it is not important if the engine is disconnected from the batterie. It is only the time from a few hours that makes that the engine starts. So it looks like a temperature problem. Did anybody have an idea what can make a thermical problem, that the engine starts cold without problems and with a little bit temperature it dies at the first ignition?

thanks a lot
Michael

Sounds like the high pressure circulating pump doesn't start at high temperatures. When you turn the key switch RUN position, can you hear the pump run for about 10 seconds? Can you still hear the pump when the engine refuses to start? As far as I know the Ficht engine doesn't store trouble codes if the circulating pump fails. There is also a fuse and a relay involved in the circulating pump's circuit.
For more investigation on this you will need a pressure gauge to check the fuel pressure on the injector input rail.

Back