Logo

2002 BF225 tilt trim seal replacement

the boonies

Hey guys how hard of a job is this if I buy the proper wrench to remove the cylinder tops? Also has anyone done it lately and have a parts list available? Thanks a million in advance

If you are referring to the two trim cylinders....with the proper tool and with minimum corrosion/salt build up, they are easy to change.

If you are not too handy with putting seals in, you can purchase the cap with seals already installed. Part #46 http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2002/BF225A2 XA/POWER TRIM-TILT/parts.html

The seals do have to be worked into grooves inside the cap....and have to go in in the proper direction.

I would also change #41 o rings while you have the rod out.

Mike

Yep those are the ones. All freshwater up here so no corrosion to speak of, since the price of a fully assembled rod is so expensive I'm guessing the seal install must be a little bit of a challenge. Any chance there are installation instructions on the net or do I need to purchase a repair manual? Any reccomendations on the manual?

Thanks for the help Mike.

The removal is not that difficult. You will need some small picks and a camera to take pictures.

There is a youtube on a Yamaha unit. The procedure is similar. The seals on the Honda are different than those on the Yamaha in the video. But pretty close. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfPyXNQQOf4

The key is to get the correct seal in the correct place and have it facing the correct direction.

The seal in the middle of the cap is the trickiest. You just have to have some patience and lubricate with trim fluid. The middle one in the video is just a round o ring. The Honda seal is not so round and should be oriented only one way.

You need to camera, so you can take pictures of the orientation as you remove the seals.

He has an interesting way to refill the system. I am not sure how that works with Honda.

If you do use the manual release.....the Yamaha in the video is turned to the right to release it, the Honda is turned to the left. Do not turn the screw out too far. If it is stuck....do not force it. You can still do the work without releasing it. You just have to fill the cylinders up close to the threads, but still leaving enough room to get the lower part of the piston in.

To bleed the system, once the reservoir is full, do not run it up and down like the video. Use the manual release to lower the motor and let it sit for a while to let the air bubbles raise to the top. Then operate the trim and raise the motor all the way up and fill the reservoir some more. Leave it sit for a while, put the cap back on and lower the motor again with the manual release. Let sit......go through this process several times until you do not hear any gurgling in the trim system.

Good luck.

Mike

its worth the extra, I have done the cheap way and that middle seal is a bear... At the end of day you will wish you bought the caps already w seals.. The bleeding of air takes some time to get all out expect to bring up and down many times then letting back down w set screw .. It will work just takes quite a few times to get all the air out

Hi There! I am in the process of replacing my seals. However, my Yamaha L200FETO cylinder cap wouldn't move a millimeter! Any ideas on how I can loosen it up? Also, the manual release nut is also stuck. Outboard is 200 hp saltwater series II year 2000.

Suggest you go to the top left of this page, click on "Forum Home" and scroll down to Yamaha Outboards and post your question there with a new post.

Hi There! I am in the process of replacing my seals. However, my Yamaha L200FETO cylinder cap wouldn't move a millimeter! Any ideas on how I can loosen it up? Also, the manual release nut is also stuck. Outboard is 200 hp saltwater series II year 2000.

The easiest way to do this is to warm the body just below the cap with oxy/ acetylene and then gently nudge the bar attached to the removal tool until it moves, don't force it or you will break the tool, they are not very strong.

Oh, and leave the manual release alone, or you may end up having to buy a complete unit, you will just have to live without it.

Back