Logo

Johnson, OMC steel gas tank

SuperT

Regular Contributor
I know this is a stretch, but at one time there used to be a soft plastic/rubber molding that fit the bottom edge of these tanks. I've been poking around on the net to see if they're still available, but I don't even know what it was called.
Does anyone remember what I'm talking about and can help me out?

If there was one it is N/A now. I would search bulk cowl rubber and pick out the style that will work best.Slice a fuel hose down the middle and put it on all four straight sides?

That's a thought. I was hoping someone knew of some NOS but your probably right. That ship has sailed.

Indeed, there used to be such a thing, but I looked through some of my stuff and can't find it. It may have been an aftermarket accessory. There also was a set of clamps that screwed to the deck and held the tank in place. http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_search.php?part_num=174006

Go to ebay . Look up ...u edge guard or edge trim.

Thanks for the tip. I was groping for the right terminology as to what to call it. Thanks to you is called Rubber Edge Guard and is readily available in different channel sizes on eBay. I want to put some around the bottom edge of my (new to me) 3 gal steel tank so If it rains or we get a heavy dew, it wont leave a rust mark on the carpet of my Pro V

Just thought I'd update all of you on what I did. Taking the tip from handymanrichard I started lookind at what was available on eBay. There's a whole bunch to choose from for sure. The problem was getting the right fit size.
Then it hit me like a ton of bricks..body shop !!!

So today I stopped by one of our local shops and inquired about the trim molding and they directed me to the auto parts stores, O'Rileys in this case. I had the can with me and we found a U channel edge guard 10' in length that was a perfect fit. It even came with adhesive in the channel. 10 bucks.

Came home, installed it on tank and looks perfect. If anyone else is into the steel tanks like I am, and don't want to have rust rings on boat/carpet when out in damp weather, this is the way to go. That is if you care like I do.:)

Just thought I'd update all of you on what I did. Taking the tip from handymanrichard I started lookind at what was available on eBay. There's a whole bunch to choose from for sure. The problem was getting the right fit size.
Then it hit me like a ton of bricks..body shop !!!

So today I stopped by one of our local shops and inquired about the trim molding and they directed me to the auto parts stores, O'Rileys in this case. I had the can with me and we found a U channel edge guard 10' in length that was a perfect fit. It even came with adhesive in the channel. 10 bucks.

Came home, installed it on tank and looks perfect. If anyone else is into the steel tanks like I am, and don't want to have rust rings on boat/carpet when out in damp weather, this is the way to go. That is if you care like I do.:)
Sweet. I have an old OMC steel can that could use the rubber edging. Did you happen to record the O'Reilly's part # for that U-Channel edge guard? I'm sure I could find the same thing at my local O'Reilly, but having the part number would make it simple.

I was going to suggest cleaning and masking edge then use brush or spray applied Plasti-Dip to coat the edges. In the end that would probably be the same price as your U-Channel solution but would take a lot longer to complete.

KJ

Sweet. I have an old OMC steel can that could use the rubber edging. Did you happen to record the O'Reilly's part # for that U-Channel edge guard? I'm sure I could find the same thing at my local O'Reilly, but having the part number would make it simple.

I was going to suggest cleaning and masking edge then use brush or spray applied Plasti-Dip to coat the edges. In the end that would probably be the same price as your U-Channel solution but would take a lot longer to complete.

KJ

Yes I did. It's Cowles Custom Truck/SUV Edge Trim black. # S37203
Just follow the simple instructions. Five minute job. Let us know how you like it.

Last edited:
Back