Logo

SE lower units MISMATCH???? HELP

P Fish

OK. A new ( to us ) 88 Carver 27 ft Montego with twin 3.7 Mercruisers. I know now from reading the forum that these engines are problem prone but didn't join the forum untill after the purchase. One of the outdrives was marginally rebuildable and one was trash. After some investigation we decided to have two new SE drives installed by the boatyard where she was stored for the winter. The yard ordered incorrect new drives and had to send them back. When the new units finally arrived the engine mechanic installed the starboard unit without a hitch. The engines rotate in the same direction and the props seem to do the same. The mech seemed to have doubts about the port installation of the counter rotation upper ( model 108) being matched to the standard (model 106) lower. After procrastinating for a day and a consultation with the owner (outdrive mechanic and his Boss) and myself he did install these pieces together. I having no experience in this field was concerned but had no foundation to base an opinion. On the water the boat had a excessive amount amount of engine or mechanical noise , I cant believe a boat with the reputation of Carver would be this loud. After recieving documentation of model and serial numbers I called Sterndrive Engineering and they informed me that the counter rotation upper would drive the lower in the proper direction that the gears were machined to turn in the opposite direction under load and the unit was destined to an early failure. Anyone have any experience with this or a similar situation???

Considering the CR is done in the lower unit not the upper. Plus the control box cable needs to be reversed so installation requires the shifter to be in "reverse" to install the drive

Thanks for the information Bt Doctor. After more conversation with SEI the boatyard has decided that they did install the improper unit and will be shipping it back next week. It's a shame that a project started about July 5th has eaten up a season and it is still not repaired.

the alpha gen II is available in CR but not the alpha1 The gen II dies not bolt up to a alpha housing because of the shift mechanism. If you plan to use the genII CR drive you need a gen II transom housing.
The is nothing wrong with 2 drives turning the same direction, CR is nice but not required on a twin.

Back