Logo

Positive mixture experiment

Wotan

Contributing Member
Hi there,
I live in Greece and run currently a `86 50Hp Mercury behind my classic 13´ Hannibal Deep-V Racing Boat.
Currently I am in the process to fit the old proper XS850.., but that is a different thread in the near future.

For 2 seasons and many engine hours I ran the 50Hp motor now with synthetic 2-stroke oil from Bardahl only. The reasoning was that the oil these days is much more efficient , so I stuck to mixing the fuel 70-75:1 instead of the originally proposed 50:1 ratio.
The motor has not lost any compression and I can not note any change in its running habits. Actually I have the impression that my procedure has cleaned out over time the exhaust and its entire system, so I have the feeling that the motor runs better then ever before!

-The only backdraw..., now the exhaust joints, gaskets and seals appear to give up and let fumes out into the cowling together with cooling water...
Is that now old age.. or a result of some ingredient of the synthetic oil?

Has anybody indulged him-/herself in similar experiments?
My `to-be-new´ XS850 is 10 years older still, may there be seals and flanges that might not agree with synthetic lubricants??

I wish you all a great time on the water!

Attachments

• IMG_3023.JPG
    IMG_3023.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Back