Logo

Base timing procedure

Maraian

Contributing Member
Can someone tell me the procedure to set base timing on a 2001 Seamaxx 5.7 HO TBI?
ive been searching for two days and can't find!
thanks

maybe....any idea which distributor is used? which ECU (MEFI-x)?
Not exactly sure which distributer or ecu , but it is MEFI 3.
appearently just need to jump A and B pin on data link connector.
I adjusted the base timing from 9 BTDC to (spec) 10 BTDC. When come out of service mode the timing goes back to 9 BTDC. I. Thought timing at idle would be same as base but it isn't. I'm not sure if this normal or indicative of a problem or the result of the rich condition or fouled plugs.

jumpering A & B gets you into service mode, whichs locks the timing and, depending upon the program flashed in, may raise the idle speed.

when you exit service mode, the ECU resumes dynamic adjustments of the timing and all the other adjustments. you can find the Delphi MEFI-3 manual on the www with a bit of searching....it provides more detail than most people want.

As far as "other issues", you can "read the codes" from the ECU while in service mode...if there are no codes saved, then the computer doesn't see any problems. the bad news is not everything needed is connected to the computer.

jumpering A & B gets you into service mode, whichs locks the timing and, depending upon the program flashed in, may raise the idle speed.

when you exit service mode, the ECU resumes dynamic adjustments of the timing and all the other adjustments. you can find the Delphi MEFI-3 manual on the www with a bit of searching....it provides more detail than most people want.

As far as "other issues", you can "read the codes" from the ECU while in service mode...if there are no codes saved, then the computer doesn't see any problems. the bad news is not everything needed is connected to the computer.

Thanks! I recently got a MEFI-3 scanner and have been trying to find a book or manual that will explain how to interpret all the data, but have not been succesful.
the cllosest thing I have found is: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ILnJgCV8cyyt8P-FR9y-3w&bvm=bv.132479545,d.dmo

But this pretty much just explains how stuf works, doesnt really o into how to disgnose or interpret the data.

Back