Logo

Need help getting tilt motor off 1977 OMC stern drive

Kim, sorry to keep pestering you, but I don't want to screw up. I am getting ready to put tilt motor back on. On the new one there are nuts on the stern end of the long bolts. Are they to be removed and just there to keep the end cover on? Also there was a very thin o-ring and 6 screws with motor. I assume the o-ring goes on that lip on the stern side of the motor. I also have a gasket for the back or the motor. Am I correct on where that o-ring goes and do i need and sealant on that gasket? What about all those screws I see no place to put them.

I have never worked on the stringer 400 but I assume you just pull the two nuts off of the through bolts and just screw it to the housing. Is that how it came apart? I see the gasket where it mounts to the housing and a nylon bushing on both sides of the coupler but dont see a o-ring.

Hello, I finally got back to working on my boat. We put the new tilt motor on and I just hear a click which I think is coming from a solenoid. I managed to get the back part of the tilt apart. ( the worm gear and shaft ) I thought this might be binding but no go. So I loosened the motor up and jiggled it while someone hit the switch and got some sparks at the motor. So i tightened it back up and the same thing just a click. Before I bought the motor I had 12 volts at the plug in connector. I'm hoping this thread adds on to my previous one or I will send more info about boat if it does not. Thanks for any advise.

Hi I'm having a same problem with my omc 190 sterndrive. Is there a nut welded at the outside of the housing? What holds the motor? I can reach the thru bolt head or it comes apart in pieces.
Thanks in advance

Back