Logo

Need help getting tilt motor off 1977 OMC stern drive

Alan S

1977 175 hp OMC stern drive model #981059 on Engine model # is 99023G. I took through bolts out and can slide tilt motor front about 2 inches but it hits (I think the engine mount)and there is a shaft that goes through the motor that is hanging up. Don't know if trim would help but that is stuck now also, which it does from time to time.
When the tilt first started acting up, I was putting it out on the lake and when I wiggled it I got it down. Then it worked intermittently now not at all. I have the lower unit off right now because it was overheating and I replaced the impeller. The shift cable had a crack in it, and I replaced that also. (Probably was ok but I saw the crack and thought it was a hose that needed replacing so I cut it, I think that was before I bought the manual)
The manual says gently pull motor off intermediate housing. I don't want to break anything, and need advice, Alan

Ok makes sense. I tried several times pushing the outer part back on and pulling back but the shaft stays there. Should I try grabbing the shaft with anything? Or do I need to disassemble anything from the outside of the boat? Thanks Alan

Go to shop.evinrude.com and look up your unit. Go to the intermediate housing. You will see your t/t motor and the parts that are back of it which could be holding it in. Let us know what happens.

Can you get a prybar or large screwdriver under the front part of the motor thats sticking into he intermediate housing? Just pry it off your not going to hurt anything that isnt already damaged. The only thing holding the motor shaft to the worm shaft is a simple coupler that probably needs replaced anyways.

Thanks for all your help. I got a screw driver in there and pried on the shoulder on the shaft and it came off after a lot of wiggling. Is there a seal in there? some oil came out when we unbolted it. anything else I should replace while i'm in there. Alan

Have you changed the gearoil in the lift mechanism? The only seal I know of is on the shaft behind the gear that lifts the gearbox. What could be happening is the clutch box is getting water in it and pushing oil out through the worm shaft that connects to the motor. I went through a 800 drive last year that kept burning up motors. What I discovered the clutch shaft bushing was worn and making the worm bind in the brass gear. Pull the 1/4 gear that lifts the drive and see how much play is in the clutch shaft.
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/o...oup-high+Profile+120,140,175,190,&+235+Hp
remove #67
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/o...rmediate+Housing+Group+120,140,175,190,235+Hp
See how much slop is in #72

If it aint broke dont fix it:) You want the new motor to fit easily into the coupler so it is not putting pressure inward on the shaft bearings

would that water have come out at #37? or where do you mean? it was a little while ago that I took it apart but I think some water was in there

I only saw oil coming out of cover. #39. but cover won't come all the way off. It slide out about a quarter inch but wont let go. I took the four bolts out is there anything else holding it? the gear seem to have about a 16th inch of play. I guess thats ok what do you think? thanks

If there is no water in the bottom of the clutch housing your probably good just putting it back together just pu a new gasket on the drain fill plug after you fill it with good oil. Once you get it back together the book says it should not take more than 3 1/2 seconds from fully down to fully up.

Thanks. how about getting that cover off? I can ask the parts guy, again i don't want to break anything. You have been a big help.

It should just pull right off probably has a tight bushing with a hydrolock from the gearoil just pull it hard with both hands you wont break anything. Acting like a suction cup?

Thanks I already ordered though. Its supposed to be here tomorrow. I think it might be a sierra, I forgot which one. but it isn't the Evinrude.

I got the cover off just like you said suction held it on. Yes there was some water and ugly oil in there. What so you think I should do?

I would replace the seal for the clutch shaft is about all you can do except change the shaft. You will probably have to remove the tilt gear just to lift the drive and get the snap ring off holding the clutch shaft in the housing. On my friends boat I tied the drive up real good with the ski hook and stacked some blocks under the lower unit just in case. You dont want it falling down while your hands are under there. Be sure and put a new gasket on the fill plug as well.

Back