Logo

Engine alignment

gkm24

Regular Contributor
I have a 2004 3.0 mercruiser.
I have just replaced the gimbal and all associated bellows and am checking the alignment.
I started off getting spline marks on the bottom of the alignment tool which is stiff to insert.
I have so far raised the front of the engine by 1/2 inch and it is still much the same.
Should I be adjusting the rear mounts in any way?
Im a bit worried that something at the rear of the engine should be loosened or adjusted.
Any advice please.

well I kept on going and eventually after raising the engine by 5/8 the alignment tool slides in quite easily although I'm getting heavier marks between 2 o'clock and 5 o'clock. Even if I turn the engine over in 90Degrees increments it still stays the same.
The tool slides in and out very smoothly though.
Any thoughts?

I've had them not be perfect and work fine. If it slides in easily ( two fingers pushing) I wouldn't sweat it, put the drive on and go boating. Remember the have the boat and drive in fwd and keep ccw pressure on the prop so you can turn to align the splines when pushing the drive on.

+1^ If it slides in easy you are good to go,I personally dnot pay much attention to the grease just the resistance of the bar. Turn the engine over 90deg and check it at 12 3 6 9 oclock.

Back