Logo

1976 Jonson 9.9hp question / issue

Jupiter Dinghy

Regular Contributor
I have recently purchased the motor listed above, and after replacing a bad water pump, went for a test ride, where the motor was not really running smooth (bit of a sputter at times) and could not manage to plane my 9.6' inflatable dinghy.

So I went home, replaced the prop with a 9.1/2 - 10 which is much more appropriate than whatever was on it and didn't seem to move much water, and also pulled the flywheel and set the points timing (which was way off).

Go back to the water, motor runs like a champ and planes my dinghy as it should, but after each run at full throttle, when I get back to slow or idle speed, I get the sputtering again, I reopen the throttle for a second or so, motor jumps right back up in RPM and sputtering stops even when back to idle speed.

Then I get home and put the thing in test tank for a good flush and here is what happened:
Motor started (after a few cranking attempts) runs ok for about 20 seconds, and then dies as if starved of gas.
I check the bulb and make sure it's pumped hard, can see the gas flowing in the line from the pump to the carb so I know there is gas in the carb, and start it again. Same thing. Start it again, same thing, did this about 5 times pumping gas to make sure it wasn't a gas feed issue, motor keeps dying after 20 to 30 seconds of running.

I read a lot about these old 9.9, and I understand they can be tough on spark plugs, points and condensers...
Any ideas where I should look first? Thanks!

No, the fuel is fresh and motor still dying when constantly priming bulb.
Enriching carb didn't make it stop either.
Not to leave any stone unturned I measured the compression and got about 120 psi on each cylinder..... seems healthy to me?

When was the last time the points and condensers were changed USE only factory points and condenser kits.. Try cleaning the carb

I don't know about the last points replacement but when I looked at them to adjust the timing, I could tell they looked new with all the meat on them still.
Don't know about the condensers either but have a pair of new old stock ones ready for replacement.
Yeah I guess I have to take the carb out to clean it up? Any advice on the procedure?
Thanks again!

Good day,
these motors are very dependent on a good supply of fuel.
The tank valve should be opened fully!
The reasons can be two: pump, dirty carb.
Continue to watch the flow of fuel through the pipeline.(at the got the motor to disconnect the hose from the carb and see) Air bubbles in the tubing should not be! You can install the filter from the motorcycle.
To check the carb(float chamber)
The shop sells a repair kit on the carb, if you allow the experience to open the channels and clean them.
But I still think that you have not adjusted the carb.
41124 карбюратор.jpgold 9.9 carb core plugs 2.jpg

When it sputters and dies pull the spark plugs and see if they are wet. If they are wet you need to rebuild the carb replace the fuel lines and clean the fuel pump.

Thanks to both for the input.

Well I took the carb out and started taking it apart for a rebuild kit that I ordered and received, and I bumped onto several issues, leading me to believe that this carb has been worked on by some barbarian in the past:

The float bowl was soldered and I think it lets some fuel "sweat through" as I could see some gas/oil mix deposit underneath at the bottom of the engine cowling when I took the carb off.

3 O'rings (too big) were rammed between the low speed needle valve and the carb body, not sure what the idea was here.

After removing the orifice plug / screw, I found that the top of the nozzle has been completely destroyed which means I can't take it out unless I find some exctractor thin enough to fit in there, and with some luck I can pull it out.

So all things considered, I'm wondering if I shouldn't find myself a good carb core to rebuild as I'm afraid this one has too many issues...... thoughts?

Last edited:
Привет, если речь идет о покупке нового карбюратор, я рекомендую купить ДЖОНСОН EVINRUDE 15HP карбюраторных двигателем подвесным
Вот некоторые цитаты: " разница между 9,9 и 15 л.с. " http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Johnson%209.9_15 ~~ ГОЛОВА = PObj. HTM
9.9_15_carbs_rear.jpgGGsahgF0VZY.jpg

Единственное , что я мог бы изменить это элемент с роликом (от вашего старого карбюратор) акселератора дроссельная.

Last edited:
Привет, если речь идет о покупке нового карбюратор, я рекомендую купить ДЖОНСОН EVINRUDE 15HP карбюраторных двигателем подвесным
Вот некоторые цитаты: " разница между 9,9 и 15 л.с. " http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Johnson%209.9_15 ~~ ГОЛОВА = PObj. HTM
View attachment 14316View attachment 14317

Единственное , что я мог бы изменить это элемент с роликом (от вашего старого карбюратор) акселератора дроссельная.

Sorry but my Russian is a bit rusty since High school.... I will check Leeroysramblings though, as always.

I was waiting until after the test ride on the water, which took place yesterday, and I am very happy to report that after an (Ebay acquired) carb core rebuild, the motor is running as if it was 1976 all over again!
Idles like a purring cat, and gets the boat in plane with zero delay when throttle opened wide.
Color me happy. :)
Thanks to all who responded.

Last edited:
Back