Logo

BF20 Need Advice on starting problem

chiefcrazyman

I have a 2009 Honda 20 HP that was in storage for over a year. I took it out and changed the plugs, oil/filter, gear oil, new impeller and started it up. It ran ok at high rpms but stopped at idle. I saw it had fuel coming out of the air intake manifold so I then pulled the carburetor and gave it a good cleaning. I reprimed the eninge and no more fuel leakage and I gave it a quick pull start and it started right up. I didn't let it run for any longer than 2 seconds because I didn't have the water hooked up but just wanted to see if it would crank over. Seemed like everything was going to be good. I hooked up the water and got it all ready for a through test but it wouldn't crank over.:mad: I tested the plugs and they had good spark, I tried to start using carburetor cleaner sprayed into the intake but nothing. I am using new fuel, I checked the key, the choke and throttle it just won't crank up. I would love not to have to take this into the shop and would like some advice on a few more diagnostic tests to try and figure out where the issue is. This engine has less than 100 hours on it and is in really good shape.

When you cleaned up the carb did you dismantle it completely, soak it in carb cleaner and blow out all the passages?
That's the only way to clean them.

When you cleaned up the carb did you dismantle it completely, soak it in carb cleaner and blow out all the passages?
That's the only way to clean them.

I did take the entire carb apart and cleaned out all the passages. I actually did it twice because I thought I might have done something wrong after it didn't start.

You more than likely didn't get the carb cleaned properly. Not sure why it didn't fire on carb cleaner but more than likely it's probably got something to do with the new clean air rules and the formula of the cleaner. That's why I use and recommend propane gas for troubleshooting fuel delivery issues. If you want to know how, just ask.

Also, the ignition spark on these outboards can be fairly faint and hard to see in full light conditions. If you're going check spark as described above, don't expect the "SNAP" and lightening blue. Check it in a darkened garage or fashion a hood with a tarp or blanket. If you get ANY spark, it is ok. That's just the way these are.

These little carbs are very difficult to get cleaned if you're not thoroughly familiar with the way they work. A guy like you that isn't afraid to get in there and do it himself can benefit greatly by owning the HONDA MARINE CARBURETION manual. It's available at Amazon and is around 40 bucks. I rebuilt these carbs professionally for two years and had good success. But when hondadude talked me into buying the manual, I was instantly grateful because I learned quite a few things that I had been missing. If you buy it, I guarantee it will keep you out of the shop and probably save you a pile of cash.

I am the proud owner of a 2009 BF 20 D and the outboard is so trouble free, if you keep the carb properly drained you won't be doing many repairs. But the carb is a precision drilled instrument and is pretty finicky about the fuel quality and storage procedures. Get the manual and clean it ONE MORE TIME.

Last edited:
Back