Logo

1998 8HP 2-stroke - primer problems! - does the carburetor need to come out?

whitegreg56

Regular Contributor
A little background...we've had some cold-start problems. Sometimes it would take 20+ pulls
to get it started. Other times it starts on the first pull. Suspect the primer has a problem
because after a tiny spray of starting fluid into the intake, it starts right away. The engine
runs perfectly in every regard, once it starts. Once warm, it starts on the first pull, every time.

Since it's an old engine (we bought it new) and used quite a bit (the sailing club), I figure
the primer diaphragm may have a problem. So, I bought a "kit" 1395-9761--1.

There is a little paper note in the kit that says "CAUTION, When changing the injector
diaphragm you MUST change the injector spring and plug". It looks like the diaphragm
can be replaced without removing the carburetor. The injector spring and plug doesn't
look so simple.....do I have remove the carburetor? Why does the injector spring and
plug need to be replaced?

Well, I bit-the-bullet and took the carburetor out...it wasn't really that hard.
The injector diaphragm looked OK....but, I replaced it and the injector spring
and plug, too. I put some fuel into the carb with a syringe. The primer is
still intermittent! It only squirts fuel some of the time. It looks like the primer
bowl is fed off the main fuel bowl. There are some little tiny parts inbetween
the two bowls. Those parts are NOT shown in the exploded diagram in the
parts catalog! What do those parts do? Do I have to purchase a main fuel
bowl, part # 1395-9164 ?

Looking back on it, I had similar problems, before. I posted back on
8/31/2014. Then, it cleared itself up. Now, it is persistent!

I have never had to replace a fuel bowl on those. Take carb cleaner and spray through all the holes and follow that up with compressed air. Also check to make sure there are no broken parts on the plastic primer linkage.

There is a small hole (supposed to be there) in the float bowl gasket...opposite the float hinge pin.
I guess there could be a particle stuck in that passage way. The plastic primer linkages are fine.
The tests I ran were with the carb out of the engine...pushing directly on the primer button.

The engine is coming out of the water on Sunday...can't wait to take it apart and see what's what.

There is a small hole (supposed to be there) in the float bowl gasket...opposite the float hinge pin.
I guess there could be a particle stuck in that passage way. The plastic primer linkages are fine.
The tests I ran were with the carb out of the engine...pushing directly on the primer button.

The engine is coming out of the water on Sunday...can't wait to take it apart and see what's what.

The carb bowl must be full for the primer to work. There is just a straight hole between the bowl and the primer chamber make sure that is clear. Also make sure the primer passage to the flange is clear and make sure the flange gasket is on correctly. Carb cleaner and compressed air will help greatly.

Back