Logo

Mallory Dist. Problems

bmcon

I installed new yle624av Mallory distributors in my 1990 454 Crusaders about 10 years ago. The boat seemed to run fine even thou these claim to be for fuel injected motors. It would get up to 4000 max rpm.

This last weekend, I pulled the caps off again to inspect the inside. I found a lot of rust so I took the parts out and cleaned everything. In the process, I found the pickup coil magnet was broken and when I tried to unplug the coil the tabs broke off the ignition control module. Off to the auto parts store, I bought a new pickup coil (MSD) and a new GM ignition control module for a car(?) Any way I had new parts with all male ends. I then cut the metal ends off the coil pickup wires and soldered the wires onto the module tabs. The engine starts and runs fine, but it only revs up to 3300 rpm under way. I then checked the connections, replaced the cap and rotor. Still only 3300 rpms max. I decided to check the timing and found it to be 13 degrees advanced, so I turned it back to 10 degrees. Now the engine will only run up to 3000 rpm. It appears I'm not getting the distributor to advance(?)

I connected Mallory and they said they sold the distributors to Sierra. But suggested I look at the pickup coil wires, If I switched them by mistake it wouldn't advance. I sure I hooked them up correctly(?)

Any ideas?:confused:

Back