Logo

What may have caused destruction of crankshaft

Doh!!! Yeah it's kinda obvious, it's late and been a busy day. Should hopefully have the motor rebuilt and back in the boat by Sunday, picking new crank up on Friday.

Chris,Not sure if you are aware but their talking about starting a newly rebuilt engine, I have used this method many times before breaking in a new motor

What is the oil capacity of a 4.3 with aluminium pan AND remote filter setup, I want to make sure the dipstick tube is set at the correct position in the block, I have fitted an oil drain tube to the drain plug which is 45" long using 8mm ID hose. The book says 4.3lt capacity but that is without the remote setup

The mechanic has the special tool to spin the pump, (not a converted distributor shaft) will this still send oil to the rockers

if he has a priming tool, it will get oil everywhere it needs to....as far as capacity goes, it will vary due to the installation. Most OEM's provide a dipstick and will tell you as long as you fill the crankcase to the fill mark, per their procedure, you will be fine....if you read their fine print, all capacities listed will be denoted with the 'approximate' disclaimer...

Thanks makomark, I've seen pics of the tool and it has a collar with a groove to send oil to the top, same as the dizi shaft, not sure if the mechanics is the same as I didn't see the collar, anyway I now know what's needed. As regards the oil capacity, unfortunately the dipstick tube is loose in the block and can be positioned incorrectly so the mark on the gauge would also be incorrect, I am assuming however that the tube would almost touch the bottom of the pan (for sucking the oil out) so I will try and position it there, I have fitted a drain tube from the sump plug that exits through the transom drain plug to make oil change easier.

Back