Logo

1991 V200 problem with mid range RPM acceleration

weldunn007

I have a weird one here and don't know where to start.

I bought a 1985 Checkmate Enchanter with a V200 outboard. It had been sitting for about 8 years and not used regularly for about 15 years. I appears to have been stored properly and worth the price even if the motor was not salvageable. Bought it with the intention of restoring it back to something to use on a small-ish lake. I started with new fuel tank and lines, complete new electrical system, service on the outboard ect. The oil injection had been removed by the previous owner so we are mixing 50:1 in the fuel tank.

I did a basic service, plugs, fuel filter, thermostats, replaced some frayed wiring, impeller and housing, cleaned the carbs (with out taking them apart) full lower unit service, adjusted the cables, basically all the simple things. Got it to run off the ear muffs and had good throttle response through the RPM range.

Took it out on the water today as a test before we put the new interior in. this is where it gets weird. Motor starts right up idles perfectly. put in gear and throttle up. at about 1000-1500 RPM the motor begins to bog down and if i don't throttle back, it will die out. it will start back up instantly with the key. I first thought the carbs were not able to supply enough fuel.

Now if i keep the RPM's under 1000 and peg the throttle, it bogs down for half a second and the RPM's shoot up. couple seconds later I'm doing almost 70 on GPS. From there i can throttle down and cruise in the 20-30 range all day. but still have problems if i let the RPM's dip below 1500.

I thinking that it could be related to timing? I'm getting good spark and air flow, carbs look to be able to supply enough fuel. i adjusted the timing advance and it helped a little but not enough to call it the smoking gun.

Anyone ever seen this before and could help me figure out where to start?

Thanks,

~PMD

Carbs need to be removed,disassembled,soaked,cleaned thoroughly & rebuilt. 15 years is a long time, more than likely they are gummed up. Low speed jets need cleaning

Back