Logo

1990 seaswirl stalls when warm hard to restart

Parkhurst51

I recently purchased a 1990 seaswirl Cordova with an OMC Cobra 5.8 engine that had sat for about 6 years.When it's cool, it starts easily idles fine. After it runs for a few minutes it starts to bog down. If you try to throttle it up it bogs down immediately. At a high idle it takes longer but will bog down and die. When it dies it is hard to restart, lots of pumping the throttle. When it does start it will not idle, and eventually dies in natural. I have replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, upgraded the points to a hot spark electronic ignition with new coil I have replaced the exhaust riser gaskets as well. I checked and cleaned the anti siphon valve. I rebuilt the original holley carb, then replaced with an edlebrock. I have replaced the fuel pump and filter. When it stalls I have watched and do have gas squirting out of the accelerator pump ports when pumping the throttle. The fuel pick up tube is clear as is the tank vent. It had some old fuel in the tank, i pumped out all i could, added about 20 gallons of fresh gas and a can of sea foam. Timing is set dead on at 10 degrees. Am I possibly dealing with a bad fuel issue? I'm at a loss any help would be appreciated

Last edited:
Pull all fuel filters take a look If you have a fuel/water separator,dump contents and inspect Tank was not flushed was it? Could be the issue. Were fuel lines inspected, cleaned,flushed out? Crud in tank might be in filters and new carb by now. Were all these parts replaced before or after hard starting & bogging down Now troubleshooting compression test first,followed by a spark test on all cylinders, then move on to fuel diagnostics,

The parts were replaced after the bogging issue. I did flush and inspect the fuel lines, the tank it's self was not flushed, only drained and fresh fuel added with the addition of a can of sea foam.

Back