Logo

1977 CHRIS Craft Lancer

Adaily

I've been looking at a few Chris Craft Lancers. One of particular interest is a 23 with a 350ci Chris Craft Engine and a Volvo outdrive.
After talking to the boat owner and boat yard mechanic I've learned the following.
1. Engine needs exhaust risers.
2. Was last run a year ago.
3. There is considerable rust on the engine, a leaking mooring cover was blamed for the corrosion.
4. The drive does not raise for trailer towing and the tilt feature is inoperative.

My my question is. Are parts available for this drive? I really was searching for a straight inboard with poor success. This particular boat looks nice, spent its entire life in fresh water and shows 700 hours. I've always liked the Lancer, but don't want to cause myself undo stress because of an obsolete propulsion system.

Thanks in advance for some educated opinions.

Tony

I swapped my original 270 drive on my Lancer for a 280. Kept the same transom shield. Never had any problem getting parts. Have owned 2 Volvo drive 1969 Lancers. First from 1979 to 1995. Present one since 2005. Drive swap to a 280 was due to PO installing incorrect ratio drive. Keep good seals in it ( pressure check annually) change drive oil annually and NEVER let the drive bellows go to the point where they leak and the drives are virtually bullet proof. OH yes...and of course avoid hitting anything hard at speed :). Parts are a bit expensive, but you almost never need them. In all my years of ownership, only replaced shift seals twice and had to replace the universals and drive seal once. Not the drive's fault, my bellows were vandalized one winter and I did not notice it and had a summer's worth of operation with sea water in bellows.

BTW... weak spot on Lancers. Check the transom for delamination on the outer skin in the area surrounding the drain plug. Hole is drilled thru by factory and a fitting installed on outside, HOWEVER, they don't treat the hole thru the transom to prevent dry rot from water absorption. When I bought my current one and had a new 5.7 installed, I had the mechanic drill the hole oversize, filled with epoxy and then redrilled back to its original ID resulting in an epoxy lined transom drain.
If there is some delamination, its easy to fix.. See the WEST System handbook.

Boat is a sweet running boat. Design way ahead of its time. The stringers are hollow fiberglass, not encapsulated wood.

Last edited:
I swapped my original 270 drive on my Lancer for a 280. Kept the same transom shield. Never had any problem getting parts. Have owned 2 Volvo drive 1969 Lancers. First from 1979 to 1995. Present one since 2005. Drive swap to a 280 was due to PO installing incorrect ratio drive. Keep good seals in it ( pressure check annually) change drive oil annually and NEVER let the drive bellows go to the point where they leak and the drives are virtually bullet proof. OH yes...and of course avoid hitting anything hard at speed :). Parts are a bit expensive, but you almost never need them. In all my years of ownership, only replaced shift seals twice and had to replace the universals and drive seal once. Not the drive's fault, my bellows were vandalized one winter and I did not notice it and had a summer's worth of operation with sea water in bellows.

BTW... weak spot on Lancers. Check the transom for delamination on the outer skin in the area surrounding the drain plug. Hole is drilled thru by factory and a fitting installed on outside, HOWEVER, they don't treat the hole thru the transom to prevent dry rot from water absorption. When I bought my current one and had a new 5.7 installed, I had the mechanic drill the hole oversize, filled with epoxy and then redrilled back to its original ID resulting in an epoxy lined transom drain.
If there is some delamination, its easy to fix.. See the WEST System handbook.

Boat is a sweet running boat. Design way ahead of its time. The stringers are hollow fiberglass, not encapsulated wood.

Thanks Bob,
I appreciate the expert advice.

Tony

Back