Logo

Engine won't pee unless gear link port open

WayneS

While getting my 2006 Nissan 6hp (NSF6B) ready for a river trip, it stopped peeing. I took it apart and checked the water pump impeller and it looks almost new. After putting it back together, I stuck it back in the bucket, started it, still no pee. On a whim, I removed the rubber port cover that covers the connector from the transmission to the gear changer on the motor and suddenly it started peeing. Putting the port cover back on and it was still peeing just fine, but the exhaust was not coming out the propeller, but it was bubbling out through several joints. I took it apart again and the exhaust port through the propeller was wide open. I searched through the threads here and one mentioned that a new water pump should fix the problem, so I have ordered one. Is this all of the problems? Thanks. Wayne

You will not be able to simulate in-water operation with a "bucket", unless the test tank is at least 100 gallons. Never bother to replace merely an impeller; always do the entire wp kit. With small amounts of water, and at slow speeds, you may not get water to go all the way down the "leg" and out the prop. Opening up the grommet that accesses the shift coupler reduces the back pressure on the cooling system, but will be really loud. Because the water inlet is above the prop, bubbles there can cause a lack of peeing in a bucket, since the bubbles get pulled into the system.

You will not be able to simulate in-water operation with a "bucket", unless the test tank is at least 100 gallons. Never bother to replace merely an impeller; always do the entire wp kit. With small amounts of water, and at slow speeds, you may not get water to go all the way down the "leg" and out the prop. Opening up the grommet that accesses the shift coupler reduces the back pressure on the cooling system, but will be really loud. Because the water inlet is above the prop, bubbles there can cause a lack of peeing in a bucket, since the bubbles get pulled into the system.

Thanks for your help Paul. I didn't realize that the scale really mattered. I'll replace the water pump, with the whole kit, this weekend. On the plus side, I've gotten really good at the tricky replacement of the lower unit on this motor.

Keep us posted and happy boating

Paul, you were right on, thanks. I replaced the water pump with a water pump kit and it now works really well. Further, when I was inspecting the impeller earlier, I missed an 8 to 10 mm gap in the side of the metal pot that holds the impeller. The impeller seemed almost new, but the container was in really bad shape and I didn't even see it. From now on, I will keep a water pump kit around, not just the impeller. Also, thanks for explaining the connection between the water pump and exhaust. I didn't have a clue before this started.

Back