Logo

1999 Johnson 130 Ocean Pro - Running issue

Took it out last night with the auxiliary tank [note to self, don't go too far, almost ran out :) ]

Seemed to run a little better. Idle was faster for sure but still rough. Stopped long enough to cool engine... Attempted restarted with no pump of primer and no throttle and all was good. That's a first. So I think part of my issue is the fuel delivery. I have everything on order to replace from the tank to the motor.

Now... The other issue(s) it still runs very rough at idle and the most I got was 4300 RPM. I know the tach is accurate because I tested it with a hand held tachometer and it was pretty much bang on.

Would the de-carb help? Should I have the carbs cleaned? I suspect this boat/engine sat for a loooooonnng time without running.

Took it out last night with the auxiliary tank [note to self, don't go too far, almost ran out :) ]

Seemed to run a little better. Idle was faster for sure but still rough. Stopped long enough to cool engine... Attempted restarted with no pump of primer and no throttle and all was good. That's a first. So I think part of my issue is the fuel delivery. I have everything on order to replace from the tank to the motor.

Now... The other issue(s) it still runs very rough at idle and the most I got was 4300 RPM. I know the tach is accurate because I tested it with a hand held tachometer and it was pretty much bang on.

Would the de-carb help? Should I have the carbs cleaned? I suspect this boat/engine sat for a loooooonnng time without running.

Do a decarb,it cant hurt. Then if no improvement pull carbs and clean thoroughly,be meticulous about it.Has fuel pressure been tested? After carbs are done let us know what the wot is,still could be a prop issue

Ran carb cleaner through last night and will order a carb kit today and get that done. Fuel pressure has not been tested. I already ordered another prop (15x17) and will give that a try on the weekend.

Very possible it's related to a fuel restriction, Your 19" pitched prop has me thinking,it might be a tad too much. wait for other replies.

I am using a 14.5 by 19 pitch on a 2000 Johnson 150 Oceanpro with top compression and can barely squeeze 5200 rpm in a lightly loaded 1979 Glastron Sea Fury v216. The recommended operating range for it at WOT is between 4500 and 5500. I expect the 130 Oceanpro would have the same range?? I concur fully with your suspicion about being over propped.

For those who suggested, and explained, the prop pitch issue, thank you kindly! I replaced my prop (14-1/2x19) with a 15x17. OMG what a difference! The boat gets on the plane like a raped ape and I hit, just shy of, 5500 rpm and still managed to get just over 40mph. I cannot believe the difference.

Since I replaced the fuel line/primer bulb and did the de-carb and ran some carb cleaner through, it also seems to idle much better too. I may still strip the carbs down over the winter but for now I'm a happy camper.

Thanks guys. Huge help. Never in a million years would have looked at the prop.

For those who suggested, and explained, the prop pitch issue, thank you kindly! I replaced my prop (14-1/2x19) with a 15x17. OMG what a difference! The boat gets on the plane like a raped ape and I hit, just shy of, 5500 rpm and still managed to get just over 40mph. I cannot believe the difference.

Since I replaced the fuel line/primer bulb and did the de-carb and ran some carb cleaner through, it also seems to idle much better too. I may still strip the carbs down over the winter but for now I'm a happy camper.

Thanks guys. Huge help. Never in a million years would have looked at the prop.

Glad my experiences were of some help here.

Back