Logo

Volvo 5.7 Gi-E. Need help diagnosing whine -- video link

utexlonghorn

Need some help from any Volvo boat engine spe******ts out there.
https://youtu.be/x76_5zccNy4
From the video you can hear the whine of the engine and it starts to seize shortly after. I've heard this whine could be the fuel pump failing. I've read other blogs that have talked about the dreaded whine of the fuel pump. They read that these pumps were painted on the inside and the ethanol in our current gas chips the paint and clogs the filter.
215 hours on the engine. Here's what I have done so far: Changed the IAC, impeller and oil sending unit. Checked the oil. Looks clean and was changed 2 seasons ago by a reliable boat mechanic. I haven't changed it since as I've only put about 25 hours on the engine. Oil pressure is on the low side near 0 at idle at normal running temp but picks up to just under 40 when I throttle the engine. I'm going to try a new gauge is weekend. Haven't had any oil pressure alarms go off.

My mechanic recommended that we replace the engine with a long block. Obviously not my most economical option as this is a low use motor and boat. I know the record history on this boat since new and it's never had major mechanical repair.

Engine didn't blow up in the video. This is a video of the symptom action up. I killed the engine just after I cut the video and started it back up. Runs normally in most conditions unless it sits in idle for a period of time (5 minute or more) then the whine starts. If I kill the engine and start it back up with a kick of the throttle it seems to alleviate the problem. But it returns if idling again. I could be wrong on the timing of the oil change I think I did get it done last season. The mechanic at my marina didn't say the oil looked bad but I'm asking him on the oil change again to see his thoughts. May just get it done. My mechanic doesn't seem to suspect oil pump or anything else. He in fact couldn't give me a solution other than replacement. I know there's a better option.

Pull of f serpentine belt and see if you can isolate a bad pulley, water pump bearing noise,belt tensioner, power steering pump bearing issue etc, What's condition of the belt? Check water pump pulley does it wobble with belt off? Not sure if a fuel pump would make that kind noise. Is it mechanical?

Good idea on checking the pully and bearings. I'll pull the belt to see if that may be the cause of the whine. But do you know if a bearing or pully would cause the symptom of the engine sounding like its being starved of gas? I should have described it better. When I throttle up the whine doesn't immediately go away. Many times it sputters like its starving for gas then kicks in because of the rush of new gas. The best way I can describe it that it sounds like the engine is starving for gas or vapor lock. But that's my very amateur opinion.

Sounds like the idler pully bearing to me take a long screwdriver and put the handle up to your ear and search around with the tip. The louder the sound the closer you are to the problem. I`m voting for a dry idler bearing be real careful with moving parts but you will be able to listen to most of the components and rule them out in case it is the circ pump for the motor.

You likely have a couple issues the dead spot is probably not related to the whine what was the reason you replaced the IAC? Maybe pull the throttle body and give it a thorough cleaning and see if the dead spot goes away? Allways install a new throttle body gasket if you pull it off.

I initially took it to my mechanic at the marina and he diagnosed it as the IAC. Obviously he was wrong so I'm trying to get some of my money back for his incorrect solution. Not sure how that will go. I'll definitely pull the throttle body And clean those up too.

You can test the TPS with a ohm meter fairly easy a needle sweep one works best. There should be a nice smooth sweep of the needle as you work the throttle lever. If the needle jumps you need a new throttle position senser. A digital will work you should see a steady change as you work the throttle.

not sure if you found your problem yet but I had that whine noise also. change fuel pump because it was full of paint. after replacing the fuel pump it ran better but the whine came back. What I found out that you also have to replace the fuel regulator that's at the end of your fuel rail. It has a fine screen that also gets clogged. Volvo has eliminated the screen.

Hello late response from me but I have had the same problem, rstella above is on the right track. My guess is that It's the low pressure pump. But be sure that the cable connections to the pump are free from oxidation, clean them properly and use W40. Try again

God luck /Shas

Back