Logo

Brand new 2016 20 hp merc 4 stroke wont start..

kelplin

Hi I have just bought a brand new 20 hp 4 stroke motor. It has power trim. I bought the motor from west marine, and had to order the oem controls for it. So I received the controls, hooked it all up. power tilt works, motor turns over but wont start. Have spark, fuel is pumping through the fuel line, and is pumping all the way to the carb. So I pulled the spark plug and put a half a straws worth of gas in, replaced the plug and it popped... wanted to go.. the controls are making a beeping sound? So I tryed a tad bit of carb cleaner into the carb, and it ran for 3 seconds.... The gas is flowing to the carb... Its brand new!!! so I tryed putting it into gear and try to start knowing that it should not. It didnt, but when i gave it a squirt of carb cleaner it ran for a sec? In gear.... so then I put it back in neutral, hit the kill toggle switch to the off position. no go, but if i hit it with a squirt of carb cleaner it pops and runs for 2 sec.... I was under the impression that the motor shouldn't even try to run if the toggle is off or the motor is in gear. and this beeping noise? The controls are oem from merc... Im stumped. Could a brand new motor have a carb that is dirty already some how? Cause thats the way it is acting, but for the motor to try and start with the kill switch in the off position? and it also tried to run with the carb cleaner in gear? At this point i dont wanna do much else as this will screw with my warranty... I just wanna go out fishing!! any info would be appreciated. Also western marine is the worst, all they tell me is to call merc. Should a motor try to run with the toggle switch in the off position? Cause mine does... In gear also??????? And I have purchaced this motor with out the manual, while being told by the person who sold it to me i would recieve a free one in the mail. Its now been3 calls to merc and I even offered to pay for the manual and pay for overnight shipping

So I called a tec from merc and he told me if it is beeping like it is, that its not right and bring it to a merc dealer... Im sure if they gave me the book or would actually ship me one, i could figure this out.. At this point im convinced it is electrical....

So I called a tec from merc and he told me if it is beeping like it is, that its not right and bring it to a merc dealer... Im sure if they gave me the book or would actually ship me one, i could figure this out.. At this point im convinced it is electrical.... But how does that work as far as the warranty? if i buy a motor with no tiller or remote controls, buy the oem controls and hook it up an it doesn't run... Its all merc parts... who has to pay for this? If I only had the book!!! thanks for reading and any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Ok Im trying to take it in but I live on Marthas Vineyard, and the only merc dealer shop, was just bough by someone else so they dont have there licence yet?? I just need the book.... Besides it beeping, it runs if you just spray carb clener in the carb? the beeping stops. but the boat wont take any of the fuel being pumped in the carb? And its pumping a piss stream... Is it a wireing issue for sure? Its brand new.. It did sit on its side for 2 weeks in the store... could it be a dirty carb? I find it strange that i can get it to start with a spray of carb cleaner while the boat is in gear or in neutral? Ive been waiting on the book for weeks, but the book isnt going to have the wiring diagram for the controls....

STOP spraying that Damn Carb Cleaner in the mtr !!! Keep it up and you won't have a motor to worry about !! Use straight gas or pre-mix fuel.

STOP spraying that Damn Carb Cleaner in the mtr !!! Keep it up and you won't have a motor to worry about !! Use straight gas or pre-mix fuel.

Point taken, however this is a 4-stroke and no need to be using pre-mix. Still not a good idea but it ain't gonna kill it right away.

Point taken, however this is a 4-stroke and no need to be using pre-mix. Still not a good idea but it ain't gonna kill it right away.

I have done it twice. The rest of the time I put strait gas into the cylinder... I wish I could find the wiring diagram... Idk why it's beeping and not starting

So After talking to the mercury dealer on the phone, I received the manual which didnt help me one bit but the book saids its an 8 pin connector, for the remote control, and the merc guy told me to order a 10 pin controls... He confirmed that even that the manual saids its a 8 pin controler, that it takes the 10 pin controller i purchased?? I really do not want to order the 8 pin controller to find out its not the right one and the merc guy was right, but WTF? I have pics of both connections, the one coming from motor, and the one coming from the controls... the purple wire coming from the controls is the only one that has no receptacle on the motor side... which i read in a forum that the purple wire is the wire that goes with the alarm..... can anyone confirm that? Im at a lost and the merc guys are no help... they say bring it in to a dealer, but there isnt one on the island i live on..... thanks in advance

Back