Logo

Mariner 8hp / Yamaha built ??

JayB

I am unable to decipher this engine code Mariner 8hp 647-S-28110. I believe it was built by Yamaha for China or Pacific Rim countries. Can anyone help with with this one ??? What year is it any info at all would be a help. Thank you in advance.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Mariner 8hp.jpg
    Mariner 8hp.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 3,693
I would say it was built by Yamaha for the North American market, BRUNSWICK sold them under the Mariner brand name !

Yes, that is a model 8A/P165 Mariner built by Yamaha for Merc in either 1972 or 1973.

It is "mechanically" a 1971/72 model P165 Yamaha.

Your model pre-dates even the Mercury parts listings for the model 8A.

And yes, the Mariner line (built by Yamaha for Merc) was initially targeted to provide an outboard that could be sold competitively in the Asian market. They became somewhat prolific in Australia and England so Merc later produced the models themselves. Some models also became popular in the US, particularly the 40 horse models.

The "647" equates to the Yamaha model P165
The "S" means it's a "standard" (short) shaft designed for a 15" transom
The 28110 is the actual serial.

Your model was discontinued by Yamaha in 1972 (after only two production years) and the Mariner version was discontinued in 1973. So it may be extremely challenging to find parts for it and perhaps not something I would "mess with" too much. If it's running I would treat it as a "disposable" motor. If not, you may want to look for something else that sourcing parts for will not be a challenge.

Back