Logo

Brand new 2016 20 hp merc 4 stroke wont start..

kelplin

Hi I have just bought a brand new 20 hp 4 stroke motor. It has power trim. I bought the motor from west marine, and had to order the oem controls for it. So I received the controls, hooked it all up. power tilt works, motor turns over but wont start. Have spark, fuel is pumping through the fuel line, and is pumping all the way to the carb. So I pulled the spark plug and put a half a straws worth of gas in, replaced the plug and it popped... wanted to go.. the controls are making a beeping sound? So I tryed a tad bit of carb cleaner into the carb, and it ran for 3 seconds.... The gas is flowing to the carb... Its brand new!!! so I tryed putting it into gear and try to start knowing that it should not. It didnt, but when i gave it a squirt of carb cleaner it ran for a sec? In gear.... so then I put it back in neutral, hit the kill toggle switch to the off position. no go, but if i hit it with a squirt of carb cleaner it pops and runs for 2 sec.... I was under the impression that the motor shouldn't even try to run if the toggle is off or the motor is in gear. and this beeping noise? The controls are oem from merc... Im stumped. Could a brand new motor have a carb that is dirty already some how? Cause thats the way it is acting, but for the motor to try and start with the kill switch in the off position? and it also tried to run with the carb cleaner in gear? At this point i dont wanna do much else as this will screw with my warranty... I just wanna go out fishing!! any info would be appreciated. Also western marine is the worst, all they tell me is to call merc. Should a motor try to run with the toggle switch in the off position? Cause mine does... In gear also???????

Also brand new gas tank, brand new gas, brand new plugs, brand new batteries... everything is brand new except the boat! 88 13 ft whaler. The cables are still on there way as mercury gave me the wrong part number!! the throttle cable or shift cable shouldn't have to be hooked up for the motor to run...

Is tank vent open? loosen bolt on carb bowl is fuel there? Are you following the factory starting procedure? Is primer solenoid working,are you using it?

You might want to post this on the Mercury Outboard forum on this site. Go to the top left of this page, click on "Forum Home" then scroll down to Mercury Outboards" and post it there.

of cores the vent on the tank is open, ther is no prime.... and yes there is a ton of fuel in that carb... I have been building motors for a while now.. But mostly 2 strokes.. My KTM is like a space ship to me!!! The harley is a bit easier than the KTM... Im confused about the motor wanting to start with the kill switch in the off position and in gear if you put carb cleaner in the carb... I talked to a mercury tec today and he said that if i, hearing a constant beep noise the whole time while turning the motor over than somthing is wrong with the wiring? But how hard is it to plug in a 10 point harness? And of course i am still waiting on the manual that I have called 3 times about and they just can't seem to ship it to me... I even offered to pay for it and pay for over night shipping! I started a new forum where the mercury outboard forums are.... thought this was it??

Last edited:
Back