Logo

suggested repair to the electric shift box on a 1977 bayliner with an OMC 190 hp ford V8

ejensen

The switch is bad on the control box. The outdrive has been rebuilt and is in excellent shape. Question: Could a person control the electric shift outdrive by means of switches mounted in the dash? It would be good if one switch could be used for neutral, ahead , and back. There are two wires going to the elecdtric shift part of the outdrive. Each carries 12 volts. One wire for reverse and one wire for ahead. I realize this could be dangerous as it would be possible to start the engine with the outdrive in gear. Working to figure out this safety issue. Riding lawnmowers have safety switches that prevent starting the mower engine in gear. Need to adopt something.
Switches no longer available for my morse single lever control. Throttle control works perfect
Thanks

[email protected]

there was guy a few years ago had reproduction switches on eBay but they weren't cheap. I seem to recall $175! but probably based on the price of the original from OMC when they stocked them.

you could use a drum switch like this - around $40 for a good one:
swh-101.jpg

Back