Logo

7.5 Gamefisher running issues

Jpollard97

Hello everyone, first post here. I was hoping to not have to get on a forum to fix this engine but i'm here now. So I got this game fisher outboard from my grandmothers shed, I suppose my grandfather used it back in the day. It is a 7.5hp and the model number is 217.585.930. I got it to fire up on some starting fluid and figured there was no fuel getting to the carb. I Installed new fuel line to a remote tank (which is known good) then cleaned the carb. The seat was plugged so i removed it and installed a new needle, seat, and bowl gasket. After I had done all that, the carb would flood the engine and leak out of the bowl and carb throat. I have taken the tank and pull start off this thing to many times to count in the past 2 weeks. I read somewhere the float level should be 11/64 and also the flapper fuel pump should be 1-7 positioned. The pump is oriented right, but when I adjusted my float to 11/64 it still flooded so now it is much greater than that, the good news is, last night I got it to fire and run for about 5 minutes with no leaking, but when it dies the plug is wet like it is still flooding, or as i'm thinking the spark becomes too weak to burn. The only thing is, it would only run with the throttle wide open. The RPM's did not sound like WOT but it was surely more than idle, it would die out with anything below. Now for what I believe the problem is. When I pull it, every now and then I hear something grinding. I checked the key on the flywheel to make sure it was not sheared and it is good, but what I found is the coil is contacting the flywheel. I don't know how to check the gap on this system since it is covered by the flywheel and also, there seems to be no adjustment anyway. The only adjustment I see is the cam that activates the throttle linkage. The coil is contacting so much there is actually a worn groove in the flywheel and you can see metal dust from the contact. I'll post some pictures.
Sorry for the long post but this is really aggravating me, it usually does not take this long for me to get something running at least half decent. :DmQZrlc1.jpgsYyxg4zg.jpg If these pictures are too small, I can try to re-upload them. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I don't have a specific tester for that, so I rigged up an old spark plug with no ground tab on it. I spun the engine over with my impact and it consistently arced to the casing of the plug. The spark did look weak, not really blue, just a yellowish color. I'm going to blame some of that on the old plug I used. This time I did not hear any contact with the flywheel. After I tested I went ahead and threw a brand new plug in there I had for my lawn mower, similar size. It still took a few pulls to fire up but ran at what seemed to be full throttle and I could idle it down to about a quarter inch from the "Start" label on the handle. It ran good other wise but when stalled it would only start on full throttle. Should I soak the carb in something? or is there something else in the ignition system?
Thanks!

That is a 1978 eska/tecumseh motor you should be able to find carb parts at your local small engine repair shop but ignition parts may be hard to find. You can look up part numbers at searspartsdirect and enter the model number

Thanks! I have been studying the parts diagrams trying to figure out how this thing works exactly. I got the needle and seat from the small engine shop up the road from me.

Soak disassembled carb. in carb cleaner ,clean it thoroughly,be precise and meticulous,r Rebuild & reassemble with new gaskets,needle,seat,float etc. make sure flange on carb is not warped from possible overtorquing If it is ,draw it down on sandpaper in one direction only

Sounds like a plan. If I got time tonight I will pull it apart and let it soak. I should have some results in by tomorrow, latest Wednesday. Thanks!

So I took everything off the carb and soaked it for close to 2 days in vinegar. I herd that might work and also I did not have enough carb cleaner to soak it in. Some dirt looked like it came out, I sprayed it all down with carb cleaner and reassembled and installed. Nothing... Maybe a fire here or there. Checked the spark and again and it seems really strong. checked the plug and it is still really wet. Tomorrow, if I have time I will adjust the float level down a little more. Maybe I adjusted it enough to were it wont over flow, but will still flood into the carb. Thanks for any responses!

Adjusted the float down even more today, pulled and pulled... nothing. I checked the plug and it was dry this time! I sprayed a little carb cleaner to get it going and it fired right up. Ran full throttle fine and went all the way down to an idle, the only issue us the idle should be half throttle. After that even at full throttle it would only go idle speed. I figured why not and while it was idling/dying out I switched it into gear which resulted in the motor jumping and stalling out. Between the running problem and the flywheel still wearing on the coil, I am going to retire this project for now. I may have also ruined my trash can.... I think i'm just gonna look for a good deal with a jon boat and small motor! Thanks for any help!

Sorry it's been a few days but I finally got around to test the compression. Looks like im a little low at about 55 psi. I figure it would be around 100? It seems odd, all the fittings are tight on the test and I hear nothing leaking, but it seems easier to pull than when the plug is in there. Also, with low compression, why did it run good for about 10 minutes? All I know is that I got an old vertical shaft engine I might try to fix on the lower end.

Back