Logo

J70PLSIS 2001 70hp Johnson idle circuit want engage

Little-Harry

I bought this pontoon and it has a Johnson 70Hp with tilt and the one of the Carburetors were bad and one of the Power packs was bad i replace and rebuilt the Carbs and it runs good except when you want to start it it just want idle, they have little air passages on the top plates on the Carbs and if u cover the air passages it will choke it and it will run normal but rich, Ive done everything the local dealer has suggested, i check the intake gasket no problem, the VRO checks out good, my back pressure seems to be good and Fuel flow, it just will not stay idleing unless i push the key and engage the electric choke system, or like i said before if you cover the vent for the Idle circuit(black plate on the top of the Carb)and it will idle but rich, Any Suggestion would be appreciatte

Little-Harry

Low speed jets need to be cleaned thoroughly,engine is running lean,not healthy! Check fuel delivery system from inside of tank to carbs.for gunk,obstructions,Primer bulb good? No kinks in fuel lines? Water/fuel separator been serviced,cleaned ,dumped,inspected for contaminants,water,goo, YOU said boat was just bought,was new fuel added to old? Was tank inspected,the inside of it? Fuel pump could be suspect

This engine has low speed adjustable needles. First you need to make sure you don't have any air leaks on the black plastic top of the carbs. They need to be tightened evenly. You can take the top one off without any disassembly to see what you are up against. If you decide to adjust the needles be sure to give the engine time to respond. Try turning them 1/2 turn at a time. Keep up with where you go so you can put them back if it doesn't help anything.

Back