Logo

Abruptly stopped steering right. HELP....I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT BOATS ....PLEASE HELP

GoodTimes2

1970'S 27 ft. Silverton
Single screw
Shaft driven
454 chevy motor
*****SUDDENLY WOULDN'T STEER TO THE RIGHT*****
I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO EVEN BEGIN. I CAN'T AFFORD A BOAT MECHANIC....I AM A FEMALE WITH LITTLE TO NO KNOWLEDGE OF BOATS, ENGINES. THERE IS NO MANUAL ON BOARD EITHER SO I CAN'T EVEN BEGIN TO TRY AND FIGURE THIS THING OUT!
If anyone can help, please do. ...I'M BEGGING HERE! I'VE FIXED BIGGER THINGS ON MY OWN CAR BEFORE BECAUSE I HAD NO OTHER OPTION BUT TO DO IT MYSELF, SO I KNOW I CAN DO IT IF ANYONE OUT THERE IS WILLING TO WALK ME THROUGH SOME OF THIS.

Maybe start with the most obvious things to check first, please include location of whatever I should look for.

Thank you. .... I'm on the Columbia River in St. Helens Oregon
I have a cell phone if anyone thinks if would be easier than messaging over the forum

Last edited:
Is it mechanical or hydraulic steering? That has a rudder correct? Disconnect the cable or actuator at the rudder and see if the rudder turns fully in both directions and work your way back to the helm. Some pics would help not alot of threads I could find with that type of steering maybe another inboard forum would help you out better?

Yes, it has a rudder....is not hydraulic.
If I disconnect the cables and the rudder does not turn.....what could be the issue?
If it does turn....what could likely be the issue/problem?
ALSO. ...THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HELPING ME!

If you disconnect the cables and the rudder still won't move, it's likely you hit something and bent the rudder...

if the rudder swings free, the issue is in the steering system somewhere....could be the cable is worn out, corroded and bound up, or the steering head has an issue..

Back