Logo

115 yamaha quitting

jeffmason

1989 bumble bee. 115 yamaha 2 stroke. Launched boat ran wide open for 15 minutes stopped and put in neutral and went dead. Had to wait 15 minutes to crank then boat would only run 1/4 throttle. Any more throttle it would die. After 10 min of that it would run full throttle. Next day ran wide open for 5 min stop. Then put in neutral. Did that for 20 min then it went dead and could not get it cranked. Havent carried it out since. Any suggestions of whats wrong

1989 bumble bee. 115 yamaha 2 stroke. Launched boat ran wide open for 15 minutes stopped and put in neutral and went dead. Had to wait 15 minutes to crank then boat would only run 1/4 throttle. Any more throttle it would die. After 10 min of that it would run full throttle. Next day ran wide open for 5 min stop. Then put in neutral. Did that for 20 min then it went dead and could not get it cranked. Havent carried it out since. Any suggestions of whats wrong

Why do you say you had to wait 15 mnutes to crank? Are you saying nothing happened when you turned the key for 15 min? Or when you turned the key for the first 15 minutes the engine would turn over but would not fire and start? A

re you using ethanol-blended fuel that is sold at 99% of gas stations or 100% gasoline? What is the size of your fuel tank? Do you add any type of fuel stabilizer to the gas at fill-ups?

Why do you say you had to wait 15 mnutes to crank? Are you saying nothing happened when you turned the key for 15 min? Or when you turned the key for the first 15 minutes the engine would turn over but would not fire and start? A

re you using ethanol-blended fuel that is sold at 99% of gas stations or 100% gasoline? What is the size of your fuel tank? Do you add any type of fuel stabilizer to the gas at fill-ups?

Tried to crank several times and would not crank. So i fished for 15 min then it cranked. Not sure size of tank. Before i took it out on the water i drained all gas put new gas in. Used blended gas . No additives

Is your starter cranking at least 200-300rpms minimal for proper starting procedure? Have you done an open gap spark test yet on all coils? Was boat sitting around for a long time before you got it. You mentioned you drained fuel from tank,Was fuel system cleaned, Tank, lines, pump,water/fuel separator inspected?We need more history on your boat,first time out,new problem,old issue?

Is your starter cranking at least 200-300rpms minimal for proper starting procedure? Have you done an open gap spark test yet on all coils? Was boat sitting around for a long time before you got it. You mentioned you drained fuel from tank,Was fuel system cleaned, Tank, lines, pump,water/fuel separator inspected?We need more history on your boat,first time out,new problem,old issue?

Yes starter cranking as should. Done open gap test. All firing good. I bought the boat and this wad first and second time out. Yes all fuel related items inspected. Boat will idle all day on muffs. When i carry it out it runs perfect till about 20 min in. Acts like something is happening when it gets warm. And when it w9nt crank back up the fuel bulb is hard.

When issue occurs again check for spark, Possibly stator is getting warm and acting up after10-20 minutes of running,thus killing spark. Heat builds up on top of engine in the flywheel area when engine is shut off. When engine and stator cool down she fires back up and the cycle starts again

Last edited:
When issue occurs again check for spark, Possibly stator is getting warm and acting up after10-20 minutes of running,thus killing spark. Heat builds up on top of engine in the flywheel area when engine is shut off. When engine and stator cool down she fires back up and the cycle starts again

Ok thanks i will try that

What Johnny said. Also, since this seems to happen after a long run with alot of heat built up, make sure you throttle back when you are coming back to dock where you can check for spark. Checking for spark on the open water or at a beach with waves/wakes comign in isn't easy (been there/done that).

What Johnny said. Also, since this seems to happen after a long run with alot of heat built up, make sure you throttle back when you are coming back to dock where you can check for spark. Checking for spark on the open water or at a beach with waves/wakes comign in isn't easy (been there/done that).

Ok. Thank u

Back