Logo

New powerhead problems i

KyPoorBoy

I changed the powerhead on my Evinrude 9.5 and now I am getting no spark on the top cylinder. Also is there a different way of setting the timing after changing the powerhead. I would think it would still putter a little with one cylinder getting spark but it is acting like it is no where near starting. Any suggestions? Thanks

Thanks I will. Also I put on new points, condensers and coils. The powerhead is supposed to have 95 pounds of compression and a new head. Is that much compression even possible on a 1968 Evinrude 9 1/2 hp?? I didn't think they had that much compression when they were new.

Well, that's what I did and still nothing . I thought setting the points by the camshaft was same as setting the timing and thanks for your help.

You can check the timing with a timing light. What color are the coils and are they cracked on the plastic coating? We need more info compression numbers and spark gap numbers. Hopefully someone did not sell you a bill of goods what did you pay for the powerhead? Setting the points at .020 will get you home but using a timing light is the most accurate way. There are two marks on the outer edge of the points plate and a single mark on the flywheel. Connect the light to any 12v bat and shine it at the two marks on the plate the mark on the flywheel needs to be in between the two marks on the plate.

I paid $125 for the powerhead. I will inspect the coils and I think the spark is at .030. Also I will get a timing light to check the timing and let you know how it goes. The coils are green with black metal mounts. I just bought the coils new. Maybe I should try the old ones. Thanks again for all the help. I sure need it.

Did you pull the points plate to install the coils? You must pull the plate and push the plug wires fully into the coils and then slide the boots up tight. then install the coils into the plate. The put a straight edge on the laminate where it mounts on the plate. the bosses it sits on need to be flush with the laminate on the coil for proper air gap to the flywheel magnets. Those are the newer coils And should be just fine if installed properly.

Last edited:
Back