Logo

1975 20' reinell cuddy 175 omc 800 prop issue

Jaypacalypse

Hi all, I am having an issue with my boat getting up on plane with people and gear in it. It's a '75 reinell 20' cuddy with a ford 302, stringer 800 stern drive 14x16 prop. The boat itself is not small by anymeans, it stands over the bed of my 2500 chev. 2 weeks ago took it to the lake and it runs like a champ but is very chubby getting up on plane with 2 people in... Add another 2, and the planing is literally Unachievable... Especially when you add in all the beer weight😋. Would a different prop get me out and on a plane easier with that much load in the boat? It doesn't seem like it should be that sluggish... But it is! Any help please🤔 The prop is a pin drive 14x16 model 381186.... Would it do me justice to go to a 14x14?

What is the history of the motor and drive? Is the hull and prop nice and clean. It looks like a 14x14 is your only other choice if you know the engine and drive are close to 100% as possible. Check your progressive timing advance (map out the curve) and compare it to spec. Those older boats had alot of glass and wood in them take it across a scale and see how much it weighs. That old foam under the deck could be waterlogged holding you back also.

Thank you for your input.... Everything is pretty sound as far as the engine and drive. It fires up the first turnkey. I had it at the shop to get new impeller done and the mechanic went through it well as far as I can tell. The bottom is clean and as far as the old wood and foam, that's a big? I know I have some soft spots in the floor but it is in overall good condition. I have a 2 bbl carb on it and not quit sure if it needs a 4bbl? It's a new carb for the most part, though it has a bit of a intermittent sputter problem( I think some debris is in the fuel tank from a disintegrated fill hose that's been replaced when I filled about ten gallons in it and realized it mostly went into the engine well) The props in good shape... The boat is just big, I have never weighed it, but it's a 20' cuddy that I have to leap from the trailer into it..... Deep vee! I'll try the prop and see how it goes, them things are just a bit spendy to have it not fix the problem��

I see your in sea-tac area, I'm in Portland... Look at craigslist and type in 20' reinell cuddy, there's one exactly like mine in puyallup! Except his is in pieces though!!

Yea they have alot of fiber glass and wood in them they really built them well back then. The real problem especially with soft spots in the deck is the old foam really sucks up the moisture. The only way to get it out is cut out all the bad wood and replace all dryrot and put some good closed cell foam back in. The smaller prop should help but in the off season you really need to dig deeper and see if its worth the effort getting rid of the dryrot. A friend of has a 305 chev in his 18ft bayliner with a four barrel that flys along real good. I believe you can build the 302 and gain some hp but probably better off swapping in a 351 that would be a fun project.
BOAT (break out another thousand)

I had a 1977 Grady White 201 cuddy with the 302 in it. In the off season I built a 351W for it with a 4-bbl and electronic distributor. Best decision ever. Leaps on plane and fuel consumption is much better.

There's been no mention of WOT or RPMS,is boat achieving top rev's? Is drive able to be trimmed? Less beer more women!!

Back