Logo

1989 johnson outboard model j40telcec starting system

Chad1980

Ok, I'll try to list everything here. I crossed my battery terminals and obviously screwed it up. This is a rear trowing motor with electric start button on throttle handle. It now just clicks. I had voltage to the solenoid, but not the starter when trying to start. I jumped the solenoid and it starts fine every time. I assumed it had a bad solenoid, so i replaced it. Same thing still. When i first crossed the terminals, i noticed a small bit of white smoke coming from a black on the opposite side of the motor. I opened that box and noticed some very slightly burnt wires. Nothing I thought would be a problem, but i repaired them anyway. Could i have blown something else in that area? I really don't know much about these, but i am mechanical, as I've been an electronics and appliance tech for15 years. Please help, oh wise ones.

Big problems$$$

That wasn't very helpful...Even worst case scenario wouldn't condone "big problems$$". I guess if you can't afford a boat to begin with, then anything would be considered a big problem. I'm just looking for help here. I can afford to fix it,whether i do it or someone else does it. Thanks...

If it ran when you jumped it was that before or after you crossed the cables? What terminal did you check on the solenoid? If it was the big battery cable you will ALWAYS have voltage there as long as the battery is hooked up.

Last edited:
If it ran when you jumped it was that before or after you crossed the cables? What terminal did you check on the solenoid? If it was the big battery cable you will ALWAYS have voltage there as long as the battery is hooked up.

It ran after i crossed the cables. Yes, i now realize that it will always have voltage at the solenoid. I just assumed since i could jump it, that it must be bad. I was obviously wrong about that.

Did you check the main fuse in the motor? That will usually blow when you cross the cables and cause the problem you are having. Or is the engine in gear.

Last edited:
Did you check the main fuse in the motor? That will usually blow when you cross the cables and cause the problem you are having. Or is the engine in gear.

I looked for a fuse, but couldn't find one. It's not in gear, I've actually still taken it fishing twice as it is. I've just jumped the solenoid and ran to my spots, and trolled the rest of the time.

It should pull start real easy especially after is has been run. There are two small terminals on the solenoid one goes to engine ground and the other goes to the safety switch in the controls. I just use a screwdriver to jump the solenoid but you can use a jumper wire also just apply battery pos to the small terminal from the controls and the solenoid should energize. If not the ground to the coil is bad or the solenoid is bad.
http://www.maxrules.com/graphics/omc/wiring/18-25_EL-START_TO_1972.jpg
This shows the start circuit minus the safety switch in the start circuit from the key. Pull the ground wire from the engine/solenoid and sand the ends and bend the wire sometimes the wire gets corroded under the insulation and not visible. My vote is for the ground to the solenoid.

I cannot find a safety switch for the tiller model exactly how are you jumping the solenoid? You say the solenoid is clicking that tells me one of the large start cables are bad or has a bad connection? pull the cables and again bend the wires end to end looking for weak spots, it could be your connecting the battery backward was just a coincidence with the cable being bad under the insulation. Jumper cables work good for diagnostics connect the jumper cable to the battery side of the start solenoid and press the start button if the starter cranks then the cable from the battery needs attention. Make sure the water going to the impeller in case the motor fires up you dont burn up the impeller.

It should pull start real easy especially after is has been run. There are two small terminals on the solenoid one goes to engine ground and the other goes to the safety switch in the controls. I just use a screwdriver to jump the solenoid but you can use a jumper wire also just apply battery pos to the small terminal from the controls and the solenoid should energize. If not the ground to the coil is bad or the solenoid is bad.
http://www.maxrules.com/graphics/omc/wiring/18-25_EL-START_TO_1972.jpg
This shows the start circuit minus the safety switch in the start circuit from the key. Pull the ground wire from the engine/solenoid and sand the ends and bend the wire sometimes the wire gets corroded under the insulation and not visible. My vote is for the ground to the solenoid.

I'll be checking some of this. I have already ruled out bad ground and bad solenoid though. This boat does not have a pull starter, but i get where you were going with that. Thanks, and ill update as i find something or fix it...😉

As far as how I'm jumping the solenoid. Mine has the large terminals at the top and bottom and the small ones in the center. I am using channel locks to cross the two large terminals. I checked the wires again and they look and feel great. Battery is brand new and connections all look good. Thanks again everyone for the assistance. I've got some searching to do and will report back.

Back