Logo

Motor swap

poolside

Hello all. First post here.
I have what I believe to be a simple question which will undoubtedly be complicated!
My pontoon boat has a 73 Johnson 65HP Powermatic 2 on it which is going to have to go. When I bought it, it came with the White generic OMC control box.

I have recently acquired a '88 Evinrude 48HP SPL to replace the Johnson. This motor came with the identical white control box.

Unfortunately, both pieces are at the lake house and I will have one day to swap them out.

What I am hoping for is actually just swapping the motors themselves and leaving the existing Johnson control box in place. Throttle cable and Shift cable will be easy to swap (I think), but I am wondering about the Ampphenol connector that comes from the controls. Is there any chance that I caan just remove it from the Johnson and plug right into the Evinrude?

I really dont want to run the control box and cables if I dont have to, so I was looking here to see if someone would know if the pins in the connectors are compatible / standard. Is it as simple as plug and cruise or should I just replace it all?

Thanks,
Karl

Back